Austin Speaker Works wattage question. (KTS60)

theHumbucker

I have a BC Audio Amplifier No.7 (6v6 15 watt, 8-16 ohm amp) voiced in the style of a JTM/Tweed Deluxe.

Am I losing out on anything if I pair this low watt amp with a ASW KTS-60? (an 80 watt speaker). It will be in a 2x12 cab with an Alnico.

Last edited:

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I have no idea what that amp or speaker sound like, but if you're just asking based on wattage alone, there's no problem.

theHumbucker

Is there more to speakers than just wattage?! Kidding.

No, i just wanted to get a consensus here on what people think of low watt amps paired with high powered speakers. I'm fully aware of all the other issues involved with speaker selection. Thanks for chiming in anyhow.

ROKY

I think even though the other ASW's handle higher power they're designed to respond like
a lower powered speaker, so it should be ok.

The Absolute is a 25 watt speaker, though (if I remember correctly ...) .

theHumbucker

Yeah, I originally had a different question about pairing the KTS60 with the absolute. Didn't realize i didn't correct the title.

That was kind of my thinking on the KTS60 as well. Thanks.

Anyone else?

KOG

Power wattage is not a factor, it is the speakers sensitivity/db rating. I have a KTS60 & 70 and have used them in low & high wattage amps, with excellent results. One of the best speakers I have put in my 18 watt 1x12 clone has been the KTS60.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Is there more to speakers than just wattage?! Kidding.

No, i just wanted to get a consensus here on what people think of low watt amps paired with high powered speakers. I'm fully aware of all the other issues involved with speaker selection. Thanks for chiming in anyhow.
As long as the speaker handles the amp's power it's pretty much irrelevant.

Hangfire

I've got the KTS-70 in my 30 watt Crate V3112 sounds great.

I had a Palomino with the 30watt Celestion but it really flabbed out when I cranked it on the clean channel.

The Austin Speaker Works KTS-70 is crystal clear with the V3112. Incredible sounding speaker! :D

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
I run my KTS 60, 70 and Elegante with a 20 watt amp, sometimes with 10 watts. No problem. Sounds fine

Trending Topics