Austin texas

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cygnusx1, Feb 15, 2015.

1. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Anyone here from Austin? May be moving there soon

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

nope, Dallas

but I have spent a lot of time down there. you will enjoy it. just dive into the whole scene and go to all the live music you can get. so much good stuff down there. hop that you are used to the heat!

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Weekly Austin threads. No wonder the traffic is so bad up there.

:sarcasm

4. arwhite

arwhite Member

Lived there for 18 years. Moved to New Braunfels a couple years ago. Don't miss the Austin traffic. It's still a great town though. I don't get back up there as often as I would like.

5. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Well I am from Boston and commute 49 miles a day to get to work. It cant be as bad as that. Plus it doesn't snow end of days snow there either

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Great music town. Sixth street doesn't do much for me, but the continental club can keep you up late all on it's own. Never lived there, and always approached it from a pedestrian/cab perspective. Oh yeah... Ran the marathon there a couple of times. No lack of hot women in that place.

7. Firepie Uno

Firepie Uno Silver Supporting Member

Current Austin resident - born & bred in New Orleans, lived in LA for a several years before I came to ATX. Used to be in the music industry (still play a few gigs out here), now I buy things for a major natural foods grocer.

It's a good spot. PM me with any questions.

- E

8. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

live in d/fw area now, but spent WAYYY too much time in Austin thru the years..

Some of the best food in the nation! Along with a LOT of good music, but it costs way too much to live even near there, by Texas standards, and the traffic is the *****..even worse than where I have to drive.

But probably still way better than having to live in some ****** yankee state. just my opinion..

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

In Texas 49 miles is "right around the block".

10. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician Supporting Member

That's going to go over well.....:hide2

11. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

What's your motivation to move? What are you looking for, and what are your needs?

S

12. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm in New Braunfels too. Get to Austin once in awhile, used to go much more often. Good music scene, good dining (by TX standards...I'm an NY/NJ transplant so not as impressed as some) and for a not so big town some of the worst traffic imaginable. One of my daughters lives there, she won't leave. Very good guitar town and nice place to live overall. More expensive than San Antonio and expensive in general by TX standards but still cheap compared to most places on either coast. They just need to build some damn roads.

13. madstrat

madstrat Member

I was working there Friday and ate at a cool deli off of 183 and metric

and it took me 2.5 hours to get down 35[we don't call it "the 35"] to Schertz

I left at 3...Buda is getting bad

14. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I liked Austin a lot. Ya, traffic sucks but the food, music and great looking girls made up for it :)

15. Mark EL

Mark EL Supporting Member

Just keep in mind that in Austin, everyone has the right of way, all the time.

16. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

I have a job opportunity there and will live outside of Austin so as to have some land hopefully.

17. standard24

standard24 Member

Austin is a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't fit in there. I prefer to live in San Antone, and visit Austin once in a while. (My son attends UT. I worry about him.) The traffic stories are true. If you come down temporarily, take some hipsters back with you.

18. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

:drink

Howdy Neighbors! I'm at The Phoenix sitting in with the Groove Hounds opening for the Tejas Brothers this Saturday night, 9 ish. Come on by and say hey!

19. sleewell

sleewell Member

franklins is to die for.

20. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

Austin...the town in which I live in...

The hype:
    Food, Music
    The food scene is not what most would have you believe. That is not to say there isn't some real good places to eat, but the hype takes over. In general most places are slightly overpriced "meh" joints (like $3.50 for a small taco). Regardless of what you may hear about BBQ joints, most backyard smoker sessions are just as good as 99% of the BBQ restaurants.
    Some very notable places to munch are:
    Hudsons on the Bend
    Jefferys
    Fonda San Miguel
    Most BBQ is great. Lots of hype though.
    Franklins = my neighbors backyard smoker sessions
    Salt Lick = my backyard smoker sessions (I use pecan shells as well)
    Lots of good BBQ everywhere, but not worth waiting in a line or being turned away for lack of product

Lots of tex-mex food. The smaller dives are actually pretty well priced and decent food.

The music scene is over crowded. The Continental Club and The Saxon Pub are the local favs. Good stuff to be had there. 6th St is a joke, unless you are a mid 20s party machine with large amounts of drinkable money.
    A couple really good guitar shops. Definitely go see Oz @ Austin House of Guitars.

Girls: Well...there is that aspect. Lots of them...

Crime is on the rise in a major way.

Traffic is really bad. Rush hour is 6:25 - 9:30, 11:00 - 2:00 and 3:30 - 6:45
    The toll roads help if you live in Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Georgetown or Pflugerville. They cost about $50 / week.

Weather - mild winters - a few frosts from Nov to Feb.
    Spring - a glorious two weeks. Summer - Blacktop melts, fry egg on car hood, hotter than a habanero in July. Summer is from May to October. Absolutely brutal.
    Major drought...water restrictions, etc.
    Allergies galore
    Humidity creates mold
    Oak, ragweed, elm, cedar...it never ends.

If you can live with this...then come on.

The best thing is we are in the hill country (South and West of ATX). Lots of cool stuff to go and do - Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Luckenbach...