Austin TGP Modeler Shoot-out: Kemper, AXE-FX2, Helix and Amplifire

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JoeB63, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

A buddy and I drove down to Lockhart specifically for the BBQ. It was excellent for sure; maybe I preferred Salt Lick because it was my first foray into Texas brisket and hot links.

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Would love to have you bud. And yeah, you can't go wrong in Lockhart!

Jason Lynn likes this.
  3. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Nothing wrong with Salt Lick, I probably get it at the airport more than anywhere and that is not the same thing - it probably skews my opinion ;)

4. dray3573

dray3573 Member

That's it right there. Airport Salt Lick just doesn't compare. It's fine there in the airport where you need something quick and your options are limited. Eating the Salt Lick BBQ at the airport would be liken to listening to the Helix with your iPhone speaker.

Jason Lynn likes this.
  5. scook

scook Member

Wait... that's what I was doing all along. Is that not an accurate way to listen to Helix!?

;)

mbenigni likes this.
  6. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

iPhone speakers have a natural "fizz" and incoming call distortion :):)

mbenigni and scook like this.
  7. JohnnyAustin

JohnnyAustin Member

Lots of folks from Austin. We'll have to setup a special Austin chapter of the TGP. ;)

I never understood why the Salt Lick was so well liked. Not that it is bad by any means, but I just didn't think it was a special as other people do. Franklin's is supposed to be great but I ain't waiting in line for hours to get my BBQ!!! Then there's Bone Daddy's. Not the best BBQ in town but nobody cares. :)

And since we're talking about BBQ, who remembers Stubb's open mic/jam that was held every Sunday night? I'm talking about the one he ran when he was still alive.

zach5150 likes this.
  8. zach5150

zach5150 Member

I'm with you on the BBQ thing. Salt Lick is ok but not the best. I've had Franklins and I have to say, it's pretty incredible (somebody brought it to me, I won't wait either). But you can drive out to Taylor and get Louie Mueller which is the real deal. The Meuller family is who Aaron Franklin learned from. The 3 siblings run their own place. Louie Mueller (pitmaster is Wayne), LaBBQ (LeeAnn Mueller) and John Mueller Meat Co.

Honestly, good easily accessible BBQ can be had a Rudys in my opinion.

I remember open mic on Sunday's. Stubbs was (is) a cool place.

JohnnyAustin likes this.
  9. LeftyASAT

LeftyASAT Member

Speaking of Austin BBQ... You Lockhart BBQ fans do realize there is Black's BBQ in Austin now, right (one of the famous Lockhart BBQ families)? To me it is the best brisket & pork ribs I've had here. I have had Mueller's a few years ago and I remember it being really good too. I don't find Salt Lick to be the best food myself either, but it is always a fun place since you can bring your own cooler of beverages and "tailgate" while waiting for your table - great thing to do with a group of friends, and especially to bring out-of-towners.

zach5150 and JohnnyAustin like this.
  10. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Damn, this thread is making me hungry! :(
    -
    Austin

dray3573, zach5150 and mbenigni like this.
  11. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

I think I might have to grab some BBQ for lunch today.

dray3573 and zach5150 like this.
  12. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Man. I lived in Austin for a couple of years back in the 90's. All this BBQ talk is making me nostalgic. :) went to Salt Lick a couple of times and loved it, Stubbs of course. Met Doyle Bramhall and Charlie and Will Sexton at Stubbs.

Ended up working at Antones for a year or so when they were near Ruta Maya (is that right?), met Dave Grissom there along with the Storyville guys, got to sit at the bar with Jimmy Vaughan as well. Cliff was still alive. It's a frickin guitar Mecca in Austin.

Getting nostalgic for a helix too. I had the first one in Canada I think but let it go waiting for an AX8. Was getting some great tones, they are all honestly amazing pieces of gear. Just waiting for the KPA FW to land so I can start the debate in my head all over again. :)

13. zach5150

zach5150 Member

You and I have beaten similar paths! I worked at Antones on Guadalupe years ago (and many other clubs, including legendary the Steamboat). Antones is also the first time/place I met David Grissom, Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon. I hadn't heard of Storyville yet. Nor had i heard of David Grissom yet. I was the sound guy's underling (learning the ropes) and he told me to 'go grab that guitar to sound check'. It was the first time I ever laid my hands on a PRS. David's PRS. It was plugged into a Plexi. :) I also have memories of pulling Chris's road cases out of the truck and stopping dead in my tracks when I saw 'Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble' painted in stencil on those cases. Stevie had just died a few years prior and I was, of course a gargantuan fan. Then, of course...Malford came out on stage and Storyville just blew me completely out of the water.

And, now I'm nostalgic. And hungry. So, I'm headed to Suzi's on Anderson Lane, then guitar center to get some strings. LOL..

JoeB63, goodkungfu and Gearzilla like this.
  14. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Black's on Lamar is good. When I'm in Lockhart I usually hit Smitty's though. I love that place. Mueller's is great too on east 6th...still haven't tried LaBBQ but I hear its great too. Lots of great spots here for it but I still say some of the best in Austin is cooked in back yards :) I do a pretty mean pulled pork.

zach5150 likes this.
  15. dray3573

dray3573 Member

Somebody needs to get to work on the next gathering. Maybe @GtrWiz can get to work on setting up that at the church in Oak Hill.

16. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Nice one. :) I played Steamboat a few times with my band The Hellfire Club. Great venue, got hammered in there a couple of times with one of the guitar players from The Scabs, remember them? Sister act to The Ugly Americans. They'd play Antones every Tuesday and pack the place. Man, that guy could drink. :) And I say that as an Englishman.

Cliff would tell great stories about Stevie Ray. Some a little sad. :-( was a great place to be at the time but I did start to lose my mind a little, maybe I wasn't used to the heat. :) moved back up to NYC and then home to the UK. Still miss it though and plan to go back to visit someday. One of my besties still lives in Austin. I hear it's changed immeasurably in the last few years.

Tamale house #3. Ever go there? Breakfast tacos for days.

zach5150 likes this.
  17. JohnnyAustin

JohnnyAustin Member

I played at Steamboat a few times as well, as did a lot of folks. They were really good at helping to promote the local music scene. I also remember playing the Back Room which was another good place to play back then. I've never played at Saxon Pub, but it's still around and as good as ever. It's nice to see one of the old haunts still surviving!!! I just checked the Saxon Pub web site and W C Clark is playing there next month. I haven't seen him in years. I'll have to go.

Austin has changed a lot but it's still a great place live and/or visit. I have no desire to be anywhere else!!!

zach5150 and goodkungfu like this.
  18. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

Sorry to interrupt bbq, but how would a Mustang hang with that crowd? Anyone doing any serious a/b?

19. zach5150

zach5150 Member

Yup....WC Clark still playing around. David Grissom is usually at Saxon every Tuesday if he's in town. Redd Volkaert is usually at Continental on Saturday or Sunday afternoons if he's in town. It's still a great town in many respects, but it's certainly lost some of it's accessibility which is what made it so awesome back in the day.

20. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

No beer, but the Buzz Bar at Whole Foods has one of the best tap selections in Austin and is about 5 minutes away!

We can hook this up anytime. Keep me in the loop!