Authentic Amperex 6L6GC's?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Reeek, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Reeek

Reeek Member

Do these tubes look authentic cosmetically?

[​IMG]

Are these really Russian by any chance?

2. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

I'm sure there are some tube sellers who can chime in with more info, but I've seen that particular style of 6L6 branded with Westinghouse amongst others.

I don't think Amperex ever actually made a 6L6, but in this case rebranded someone elses tube. I also doubt the England branding too.

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

Thanks for the reply, Andy. I have a bad taste about these . . .

4. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Reeek,

I have a couple pairs of tubes that look exactly like that. It's funny 'cause they're all labeled differently. One is labeled Raytheon Made in England, another Westinghouse Made in Germany, and another Made in USA. They're all identical. I've been highly suspect of them always and am convinced that they're Russian tubes labeled to deceive.

Fortunately, they were given to me. Did you buy those?

J

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

Nope, but thanks for your reply and question. I'm safe on this one :)

6. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    They're the Russian 6L6GCs that were so flaky that GT was selling them as 6V6s (because they were only reliable at lower than 6L6 plate voltages) years back.

The easiest way to spot Russian tubes is by their "flying saucer" shaped getters. No other tubes have this and every Russian tube I can think of does.

Those particular tubes are easy to spot because the diameter of the glass is smaller than the diameter of the base.

I've seen these labeled 10 different ways with numerous "Countries of origin" printed on them.

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

Thanks, Mike. I had a feeling. I was doing some google searches and was comparing the bottle shape.