Auto Bass Player Effect

toddincharlotte

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all. On rare occasion, every six months or so, my bass player can't make our gig and it's sometimes tough to find a fill in. While not ideal I was wondering if there was any technology out there yet that would take ONLY the lowest note in your chord and play it an octave or two down. I don't think the standard octavers would work here. It would use something like the polytuner recognition technology, take the lowest note and either reproduce it analog or digital and send it.

It would preferably be true bi-pass and have stereo outs. One that bi-passes the signal to the rest of my chain, the other that goes to a bass rig. I'm pretty sure it's NOT available but I definitely think something like this would have a market and it seems like the technology is out there to make it happen.

stevel

The only thing I can think of are things like the Roland GR guitar synths - but you have to use a guitar with a MIDI Pickup in it (either a Roland-Ready Strat, or one you install yourself).

The pickup lets you send each string on a different MIDI Channel, which means each string can be a different sound if you like (it also works for different tunings!).

So you'd send your 6th string to one sound (a bass and guitar in 8ves) and the rest of your strings to a guitar sound (or you can send them "thru" to bypass the synth engine).

The only drawback would be you'd have to either play all your chords with the root on the 6th string, or if you had to move it up so that both the 5th and 6th covered the bass parts, you'd probably want to voice your chords so that it only contains EITHER the 5th or 6th string, not both - though you could get some really fat low sounds!

So that's a lot to get into, and you really need a full range speaker for the system (and/or run it through the PA).

In some ways, it might be easier (and far less restrictive) just to run a gig with a click track, then record the signal from the bass player so you end up with a bunch of recordings of songs with bass on 1 track and click on another, and then use those when the bass player's missing and you can't find a sub.

p.s. it's "bypass".

toddincharlotte

Silver Supporting Member
There was a thread about this recently. The Boss OC3 is the ticket. You can set where you want the octave to kick in.

Will check this out......only limitation I see is the range. If you specify an octave say E to e then its going to play songle notes for a B (V chord) and fifths for an E (I chord) l.....not a big deal.....still could work.

TheFlyingBear

Get a 7 string, put a heavy 7th string on there tuned down an octave below your 6th string, and add that string to your bar chords.

laughingsam

i'm just a home player, but i use the oc3 going out to a dedicated bass amp. it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. dialing in the range takes some perfecting, but it's not awful.

toddincharlotte

Silver Supporting Member
Yesh.....its a less than great situation. I've scoured Craigslist. Right now i have our keyboard player layering a left hand on a top keyboard with a "picked bass" patch. Not ideal but doesn't sound half bad with the sub underneath.

standard24

There used to be a ribbon controller that stuck to the back of a guitar neck. I think it had 2 strings worth of bass notes, to be "fretted" with the thumb, and had it's own output. One could strum chords and have the bass root note accompany him. I'm sure there was a learning curve to this...

Anyone remember these things? (I never saw one in person. Just in magazines.)

swiveltung

Whoever makes a pedal that does decent, simple, real sounding bass lines following a guitar is going to make a Billion for sure. The Trio aint it.

walkthewalk

Silver Supporting Member
There used to be a ribbon controller that stuck to the back of a guitar neck. I think it had 2 strings worth of bass notes, to be "fretted" with the thumb, and had it's own output. One could strum chords and have the bass root note accompany him. I'm sure there was a learning curve to this...

Anyone remember these things? (I never saw one in person. Just in magazines.)
Yeah, I saw the inventor demonstrate it at a small guitar show in Northern California. Can't remember the name of the product. A touch sensitive strip ran down the guitar neck. When you touched the strip it triggered a bass sample.

stevel

Yesh.....its a less than great situation. I've scoured Craigslist. Right now i have our keyboard player layering a left hand on a top keyboard with a "picked bass" patch. Not ideal but doesn't sound half bad with the sub underneath.
If you've got a keyboard player who can play the bass parts, why not have them sequence them or pre-record them - you'd still have to play to a click on those gigs of course.

Trending Topics