Auto-wah/envelope filter recommendations.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Truckdub, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Scott S

Scott S Member

Another Analogman EF fan here. I gigged with an MXR Auto Q for about 8 years and when I finally made the leap to Mike’s pedal I couldn’t believe I waited so long to upgrade.

I know you said you didn’t need to go in the boutique direction, but I would highly encourage you to consider taking a look at this one.

EL34 and Truckdub like this.
  2. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I've been through a disgusting amount. I ultimately settled on the Analogman EF (MXR based). Never lets me down, gig after gig and sounds awesome.

For home studio use, I also have a Q-Tron +. Putting an EQ in the effects loop makes for everything I could want in an EF.

3. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I’ve heard wonderful things about the: 3 leaf audio Chromatron.

These apparently are replacing Mutrons on a lot of big name boards.

Expensive little buggers tho

4. steelers88

steelers88 Member

Funtion FX Accufunkture ended my search.
    I swear it reads my mind and triggers instinctively.
    Loves dirt, fuzz before or after, doesn't care.

cj_wattage likes this.
  5. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I'm another fan of the AF-9. Mine is a Maxon from the '80's. The current Ibanez is different, but the current Maxon is the same. A friend had an original Mu-Tron and side by side they were very close. The Mu-Tron sustained notes just a bit longer.

korgi likes this.
  6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ive owned:
    mutron micro IV (my measuring stick for envelope filters)
    proton
    snow white
    rubber chicken
    robotalk 2
    funk lite
    MXR

and probably a few others that i cant recall. i hadnt had a filter in a while and for $60 grabbed a general guitar gadgets "micro-E" and its the closest tone to my original micro IV that ive found. really nails the throaty tone of the mutron. its albeit, a very simple filter - so not for everyone...but for those that want a simple and easy to use filter, id check it out.

7. korgi

korgi Member

another vote for the maxon Af-9.....stick a bit of chorus on it too and it can get a real mellow synth-like, its great!

8. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

The AW-3 is my go-to. Not only is it fantastic as an auto wah, it works great as a wah pedal if you connect an expression pedal. I actually prefer this setup because I like the ease of reaching the expression pedal instead of trying to fit my feet between the pedals my wah is normally placed between. It also just sounds fantastic and you can push tonnes of fuzz through it, the same as a standard analog wah pedal.

Also, the 'Humanizer' feature, which allows you to set the toe and heel end for 5 different vowel sounds, is truly remarkable. There is a lot going on in this feature and it is far more than a gimmick. If you set the heel position to "I" and the toe position to "A", the very middle of the sweep breaks out some FANTASTIC harmonics and even illicits an octave-up effect.

Scott57 and Riffa like this.
  9. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

Most recent 3-Leaf Proton. I’ve tried several and I can’t see one sounding any better with single coils.

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

I use the filters on a Zoom MS BT100 and Strymon Mobius. Not perfect but good range of choices and can sound really good when stacked with other pedals.

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have owned a bunch... Rubber Chicken is still around. I like how easily it triggers with SC pups.

12. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Here's my vote: EQD Spatial Delivery.

Get the newer version (V2). Put it before your compressor; first in chain works best.

The sample and hold is crazy cool too.

loftyrocket likes this.
  13. Truckdub

Truckdub Member

That pedal looks like fun!

14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I've owned quite a few and the Analogman EF reigns supreme for me. Just like the great vintage MXR, but better.

15. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have one of the original run, and it is a quality product. I also have an original run of the MuFX Trutron 3x, which is unbelievably good, especially if you want the Garcia sound. But the A-Man Envelope Filter does a good job with that sound in a pinch and more with smaller footprint and lower price point.

Also, another great low price filter is the older Boss T-Wah.

16. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I have the new Emma Discumbobulator with added boost. I dig it and the boost is actually really good.

17. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

the BEST ive owned is the mutron microtron 3, but its like over $300 and it meets the goal of making the exact Jerry mutron sound
    so i had to sell it to fund a hunting trip.... anywho...

i now have a sub-$100 lovepedal rubber chicken and it gets me like 85-90% of the way to Jerry-land and its really a great pedal for the money
    cuts through the mix like a champ

18. Steven

Steven Member

I´ve had quite a few but now I´m using the very simple Henretta Green Zipper Autowah. No knobs and small (it has a sensitivity trimpot inside, but I´ve never felt the need to tweak it). It sounds just great out of the box, works with clean, OD or Fuzz-sounds, great control over the quack with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar. And it cost like 120 USD IIRC.

kevinhifi likes this.
  19. JesperT

JesperT Member

I love my Digitech Bass Synth Wah (I'm using it for guitar, mind you), it's simple to use and tracks very well.

I've been able to get similar tones from the Meris Enzo, but it takes a lot of getting to know how the pedal works; once you do you have a lot of options to tweak your auto-wah. Still, I prefer the Digitech.

20. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

This thing sounds fantastic in clips.