Auto Wah or Envelope Filter?

willdethrill

Axers, whats your favorite auto wah? Whats your favorite Envelope Filter? Whats the difference? Im probably not going to be able to chase down a vintage Mu-Tron 3 so curious whats out there that you like. Thanks!

Kurt L

I’m another happy Rubber Chicken user. Does the job quite nicely.

The Digitech Synth Wah also has a usable envelope filter plus a lot of fun weird stuff.

bozobreak

Subdecay Prometheus Dlx, it gives you auto wah, envelop filter and many other quirky stuff.

Riffa

I've owned an old MXR Envelope Filter and the Boss AW-3 for a while. They're both great, and the AW-3 is more versatile. My favorite right now is the Boss AW-2, though. It's got an actual inductor inside and sounds killer, IMO. It can be set for EF or Auto Wah, naturally.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
Envelope filter a zillion times more expressive than auto wah if you have picking hand dynamic control.

Using a treadle wah is a skill in itself - one I have never invested in - and auto wah is just like an obnoxious psychedlic version of trem to my ears. Rare that wah-on-LFO sound is called for musically IMO, just simulates foot rocking a wah treadle which I had thought was the maligned method of wah operation to begin with.

I also love my rubber chicken. The Source Spectrum is excellent as well. And I think I have mentioned the cheap ana cheerful joyo wow wah before, but it's a very nice one too believe it or not.

EgnaterNthUser

Most people use the terms interchangeably, but an auto-wah is like sweeping a wah pedal back and forth at a steady rate (like a phaser or flanger, but wah), while an envelope filter is sensitive to picking dynamics.
Not 100% so, me thinks.
Auto-wah goes toes down the moment you pick your strings, so there definitely is some dynamics involved.
Speed/Depth at which it goes back and forth are also configurable.
That doesn't sound as "sweeping a wah pedal back and forth at a steady rate" to me.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Not 100% so, me thinks.
Auto-wah goes toes down the moment you pick your strings, so there definitely is some dynamics involved.
Speed/Depth at which it goes back and forth are also configurable.
That doesn't sound as "sweeping a wah pedal back and forth at a steady rate" to me.

That is an envelope filter, and an example of the terms being used interchangeably, like I said.

An adjustable steady rate is still a steady rate. Otherwise it would be impossible to maintain a steady rate of speed in your car. It seems to be for some people, but I digress...

“Auto wah” is not a technical term, so it can be used however anybody wants. Envelope filters are considerably more common, but there are some auto wahs like I described. Boss at least used to (maybe still?) make one, but it also had an EF mode, iirc.

willdethrill

Most people use the terms interchangeably, but an auto-wah is like sweeping a wah pedal back and forth at a steady rate (like a phaser or flanger, but wah), while an envelope filter is sensitive to picking dynamics.
That's interesting and not to pick at the definitions but more so to clarify... are you familiar with the Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah? It gives more wah to your sound depending on picking dynamics. It also has a sensitivity setting to tune the response up or down. That seems like an envelope filter per your description but the thing is called auto wah. Call me confused!

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
That's interesting and not to pick at the definitions but more so to clarify... are you familiar with the Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah? It gives more wah to your sound depending on picking dynamics. It also has a sensitivity setting to tune the response up or down. That seems like an envelope filter per your description but the thing is called auto wah. Call me confused!
That is an envelope filter, and an example of the terms being used interchangeably, like I said.

An adjustable steady rate is still a steady rate. Otherwise it would be impossible to maintain a steady rate of speed in your car. It seems to be for some people, but I digress...

“Auto wah” is not a technical term, so it can be used however anybody wants. Envelope filters are considerably more common, but there are some auto wahs like I described. Boss at least used to (maybe still?) make one, but it also had an EF mode, iirc.

Phisherman

I use a MU-FX Tru-Tron 3X. It’s glorious. Hard to find, and expensive, but worth it if you’re able. Large footprint, power requirements are different 12V (I think).

I also have a Micro-Tron by MU-FX. It’s really good too, but not quite as good as the TT3X. Smaller footprint, uses normal 9V power, cheaper, and easier to find.

pup tentacle

Gold Supporting Member
I'm another one lucky enough to have been on top of the Tru-Tron 3x when it was released. It's even better than the original, thanks to the Pre control. There are plenty of envelope filters around with more knobs and switches, but nothing I've heard sounds nearly as good, imo. There's something about the acceleration/ deceleration of the filter opening and closing that's hard to replicate, as well as that thick, unique tone. I have a Chromatron I'm probably going to sell after my Barbanera shows up, but I want to be able to compare them first, FWIW.

I just noticed there's a TT3x Reverb for $20k, since they just knocked off 60% of the original price. I'll never understand why people waste space with ads like that.

I would hop on the Triungulo Lab list for a Barbanera, if I were looking. Of course I'm just going by what I'm hearing on youtube, since I don't have mine yet.