Auto-wah suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soulgolem, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hello, I need some suggestions for auto-wahs, I need to play a song that will require me to purchase one, it's called Cherry Lips by the band Garbage. It will be used to play the intro riff.

Any suggestion as to which one will achieve a good sound for that, also, which wah has an all around good and reputable sound ? (talking auto-filters here)

Thanks,
    Francis.

2. Wooley

Wooley Member

I use a Mutron Micro V which can be obtained for $150 or less on ebay, and is a smaller, one trick version of the definitive Mutron III envelop filter. I highly recommend it. The EH Q-tron is designed by the inventor of the Mutron III and has incredible versatility, is available at a good price, but has a large footprint. And finally, the Emma Discombobulator seems to be the hot one right now. I have not used it personally but have seen LOTS of reviews and comments praising it, and the sound clips are excellent. You might check that out.

3. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I'm a big fan of the the Ibanez AF's so I would check out the Maxon version...

4. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

If you're willing to spend $300 or more, get an original mutron III...the best auto wah/envelope filter by far...you can also check out an old MXR envelope filter...I think they're real good, and you can find one for around $125 to $150...The EH Qtron is real good as well

5. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

If you're really only using it for one part of one song, I would suggest either copping it the best you can with a treadle wah, or trying either a DOD FX25 for $40 (as used by the Chili Peppers and others) or a Guyatone WR-2 for twice that.

6. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Thanks for all the great info guys.

Just to make sure, are all of these suggestions trigger type wahs ? I'm not
    looking for the phaser type wah.

Francis.

7. James Knox

James Knox Member

EMMA DiscomBOBulator.

Used it more than a Teese Picture Wah!

James

8. 12strings

12strings Supporting Member

Tonefactor analoge filter 442. just like the original dod 440. absolutely killer.

9. Somnos

Somnos Member

I have a Dunlop 535Q on the board but I use a Boss AW3 Dynamic Wah for the auto stuff.......wish I had my old Boss T-Wah though!!! Good all round auto wah for not a lot of coin.

10. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

Mine wasn't twice that. It was actually less than $40 used.

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Xotic Robotalk - sick pedal

peace,

jb
    :BEER

12. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I had an EHX Mini Q-Tron .. just couldn't find a good use for it and sold it, decided I wasn't an auto-wah kinda guy. Then my wife bought me a Discombobulator, and I love it. Sounds great on both the normal and inverse (organ-like) settings. I keep finding new sounds in it .. the latest is a faux-Rolf Harris wobble board sound ..

13. Frethog

Frethog Member

14. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Even better. There are plenty of affordable options that will work great.

15. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions guys, after giving it a lot of thought, I think I will go with the BOSS AW-3, since it has the "down" mode and I think this is what I'll need for this song. I might also considerthe AW-2 if it can do the same thing. Can be had pretty cheap on eBay.

Francis.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

As opposed to most Boss pedals, the later versions of the AW series are actually better. I'd go with the AW-3 over the AW-2.

If you're only using the auto-wah for one song, I agree with the dude who said a cheaper one is a good deal