automatic humidification

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by music321, Jan 22, 2013.

1. music321

music321 Member

I saw a product called "humidipack" which is supposed to absorb and release moisture to keep a relative humidity of 45% inside a guitar case. it's claimed that this product is recommended by taylor. does it work? is there anything similar but better?

it seems one major problem with this idea is that it can't release water if there is simply no more to release, and the opposite is true.

Maintaining proper humidity is such a pain in the neck. and, maintaining 72 degrees at 45 relative humidity in the living area at all times is not an option. any thoughts? thanks.

2. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I've never tried the humidipack, but over on the AGF there are stories of something leaking inside the guitar from the humidipack....I'm currently using a Lasko room humidifier as well as in-case humidifiers from Planet Waves, with some makeshift humidifers from oasis foam inside sandwich containers.

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

For case humidity control, I like the Oasis system. I only use distilled water and clean once a year with fresh gel crystals.
    I had one that the magnet that held it to the case clip came loose and they replaced it quickly with no issues.
    I have had 4 Oasis humidifiers. I have had a humidipack equipped case and it was ok, but tough to tell when it dries up at a glance, and overfilling is possible.
    Same with the Dunlop humidifier that slides in the strings.

4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

I won't put anything in or over the soundhole which might leak into the guitar. All I have ever done in over 40 years of owning and playing acoustics is keep a small bowl of water near the heat source of the room where I store my guitars, and have never suffered any problems. Replenish it as it evaporates, keep your guitar in its case when not in use and your guitar will be happy.

5. music321

music321 Member

I like the water bowl idea...

6. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I've heard far too many horror stories about those humidipaks leaking into a guitar... I'll never use one!

There are so many easy ways to humidify acoustic guitars, especially on the West Coast where the requirements are not so critical as they might be in, say Wyoming in the dead of winter...

I have used a sponge in a baggie w/ holes poked in it, a sponge in a small plastic dish w/ holes poked in the top of the lid, a DampIt and the Planet Waves one that slips between strings to be held in place...

When I lived on the North California coast and had only a wood stove for heat, I kept a pot of water on top of the stove...

I have 2 acoustic guitars that were hand-made, and each of them is over 30 years old; never a problem with humidifying issues...

7. lupa

lupa Member

I have used the humidipak for about one year for my Martin,
    the guitar always sounds better when i first take it out of the case.
    the humidipak releases moisture and/or draws in moisture as needed to sustain
    45% RH in the case. I replace the paks about twice a year, I have had no problems with the leaking issue. I heard only of one case (I read it on TGP) of this issue and the company has resolved and recalled the defective paks. I will continue to use this due to it's simplicity and performance.

8. blkjazz

blkjazz Supporting Member

I have used the humidipak since January of last year with no issues whatsoever. Seems to work just fine.

9. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

I use a Planet waves between ths strings case with a reusable and replaceable sponge, plus I use a homemade moist sponge in a plastic soapbox, under the neck end, does a good job, in the northeast, it's winter when it is time to worry. Summer is ok. I have an analog humidistat, which can be calibrated.

10. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

1) There are guitars and there are geographic areas of the world where relative humidity is much less an issue. That is of course a fact. It follows then that there are always a group of folks that have one or both of those cards in hand that come to these discussions and declare humidity issues as fodder.

2) There are guitars and there are geographic areas of the world where relative humidity is a Titanic issue. That again and of course fact and those of us who have experienced just how much damage is possible are usually the ones left scratchin our heads when someone pronounced humidity as a non-entity.

3) There are guitars and geographic areas of the world where players are simply and totally unaware of just how much damage humidity is causing right before there very eyes. That too of course a fact. Just ask Bob Taylor about the woes he's faced with daily upon informing his customers the guitar is trashed and not under warranty.

It is undeniably true that some guitars, for whatever force of nature is at work, don't budge with high or low humidity. Equally as true there are some that show major signs of strain in just a few short days and worse the fix is often several months down the road. In the end what is also true is humidity swings and consequent damages are most (if not all) major manufacturers single most costly repair and certainly in terms of numbers the single biggest reason for returned guitars.

If as many, many do and apparently so to the OP, for those who have humidity problems on BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE (that is to say hi and low relative humidity swings) there is nothing better on the market than the Humdipak. The web based forum wives tales that continue to surface are WILDLY blown out of proportion. I've traveled the world with two guitars and encountered some of the absolute most unbearable swings of weather known to man. I've used dozens and dozens and dozens of these things without even the remotest hint of a problem.

If you trace most of the Humdipak bashing stories you'll find the grand percentage of the moaners severely misunderstood, misused and misrepresented the problems with the product. It is true that the first run had a leakage problem. Planet Waves took care of each and every problem they were confronted with and it was a costly, costly mistake on their part. I can't imagine any rational thinking person would believe Planet Waves makes enough profit on this product to risk continuing to sell this solution if there was even remote potential it could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars in re-reimbursement fees if indeed the pouches were really still defective.

Why am I so passionate here? Because the product really, really works for two very finicky guitars that were nearly impossible to keep it check in the past. I'm convinced the endless ground swell of product bashing (as uncalled for as it is) will eventually spell the demise of a wonderful solution to those who need both high and low humidity control........rant over :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013