Avalon Silver Series Guitars

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by roodog, Sep 12, 2008.

1. roodog

roodog Member

Anyone know anything about them? construction, general comments? how they compare to a lower end Taylor ( 110 series ) doing a little research and a visit to youtube yielded pretty good results. Specifically Avalon AS201CE cedar top. They seem to be very reasonably priced ($300-$500 new ). I know they are made in Korea.

thanks

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Never heard of them. If nobody here has any experience with them you might try over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

3. roodog

roodog Member

I believe they are an off shoot of Lowden guitars out of ireland. I'll try that forum.

4. royd

royd Member

Avalon happened when there was a conflict between Georg Lowden and some of the other fol in his company. They wanted to contract for guitars built in Korea to have lines in all of the p[rice ranges while he anted to just build high end Lowdens. The company split with Lowden continuing to build Lowdens and Avalon building and contracting for guitars at a number of price points. Since then, Avalon has had another change in leadership.

The Avalon guitars reflect their heritage and at least some of the workers in their high end plant trained under George Lowden. The high end guitars that I have played have been nice. I haven't played the lower guitars like the Silver series s I can't speak specifically to them.

5. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

I actually really liked mine a lot.
    It was the grand concert model and,
    when compared to the Taylor 114 fairs just fine.
    A little more emphasis on the mids,
    but overall a very nice guitar.

I sold mine and I miss it actually.
    ...my bad.