Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ilduce, May 8, 2015.

1. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Hey all! I'll hopefully be coming into a little bit of cash in the next few months and am looking for a "Marshall" style amp. Volume won't be a issue as the first thing I'll be getting is a Fryette Power Station. The tones I'm looking to get are anywhere from Zep to ACDC to Sabbath. Between these 2, which is going to get me there? I'm also open to other suggestions at around the $1000 price point. Thanks!

PS I'm also considering just picking up a Frenzel preamp and running it through the Power Station or maybe a DSL401.

2. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Havd you looked at the friedman dirty Shirley?

3. Ilduce

I'll look into them, but I always thought that they cost way more than a grand even used.

4. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Id get a 45 I think. My plexi type amp gets all the play time whill the 18 watt is only dynamically better. Sounds bigger while the 18 has a fizz type distortion at the same level as my plexi. Though a 45 is probably in between a plexi and a 18 watt

5. Mr. E.

Mr. E. Member

I have a 45, and I'm actually working up a detailed review to post. But in short, it's the amp I've been looking for that I didn't know I was looking for. Just amazingly good tone. The cleans are astounding, and the clean I've been chasing through countless Fender & Vox amps and clones. The 45 gives you tons of headroom if you want it, or you can fiddle with the A, B, and Master volumes and get great crunch at relatively low volumes.

Took it to a 3 hour jam tonight. Loud band, and I was able to get very loud cleans to play Dire Straits stuff, and crunch it up for some classic rock tunes. Stomped on fuzz, delay, and phaser and beautiful Floyd tones.

For me, a keeper amp.

6. Mr. E.

Mr. E. Member

7. Ilduce

Thanks for the good info! Keep it coming!

8. Ilduce

9. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

I had a 45. Easy to dial in. I have yet to hear an 18 watt amp that I end up liking for more than a few weeks. 2 EL84's = Zero headroom with compressed tone. The build quality of the Avatar 45 is pretty good. I wasn't a fan of the way the chassis was fabricated. Still a nice sounding amp at a good price that's handwired. And their customer service is great.

10. Ilduce

Thanks! Just curious, what was it about the chassis that you didn't dig?

11. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

el34junior... also curious what you thought was better after the Avatar 45

12. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

The chassis wasn't as solid as I expected. The corners weren't welded. They could have addressed the issue for all I know. The Avatar 45 ended up crossing over into tones I already had covered by other amps. Mainly my JTM 45 head and an old Sovtek.
    The 45 is a great sounding amp.. The master volume had a great sweep to it.

13. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Go with the Avatar 45. You will have a versatile amp that can do most of the things you are likely to need. Service and value are great from Avatar

14. SGspecial

SGspecial Member

15. Ilduce

I think that I'm pretty much sold on the Avatar 45! From what people have said and the reviews I think it'll get me where I want to be. I can't help but to be a little bit apprehensive because $1000 is a lot of money for me, I'm disabled and not working, so it's very important that I get it right. But I'm thinking that even if it doesn't work out that I'll be able to recoup 70%-80% of my money. 3 months can't come soon enough!

Unadan likes this.
  16. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Avatar 45. The 18 is nice, especially with 6V6, but nothing holds a candle to big bottles/transformers.

Honestly though, the resale on these isn't good, don't go into it expecting to sell and get 80% back. Probably more likely to get 50%

17. Ilduce

Interesting. ....... I wonder what Avatars return policy is? I'm sure that I'd know within a week if it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to check into it.

18. Ilduce

I just checked the Avatar website and it looks like you get a 10 day trial on amps! Very cool! I'd have to eat the shipping cost if I return it, but that's only fair. I'm fairly certain that it won't be going anywhere once I get it!

19. playthecray

playthecray Member

That is an excellent callout on the resale value of these amps. The OP may want to consider buying used as well.

20. Ilduce

I did a Google search and couldn't find any used. Maybe it'll be different when I have the money in a few months. I know that it's a buyer's market now, but I'm wondering why the Avatar amps have such a low resale value? Or is it everything?

Unadan likes this.