Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pepi, Jul 21, 2005.

1. pepi

pepi Member

I'm getting ready to order a Avatar 2 X 12 cabinet. I'm a bit confused on what speakers to get. I've done a lot of reading on here and there are a lot of mixed views on the Governor speakers. I was going to get a cabinet with two Governor speakers but now I'm not sure. I play old rock, blues, jazz and no heavy metal. Wonder if I would be better to do a mix?

Thanks for any help.

2. gearo999

gearo999 Member

one vintage 30 and one G12h30.

3. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

the V30/G12H combination is a very good allround rock/blues selection and avatars are hard to beat....

4. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

+1 - hard to beat the V30/G12H30 combo for versatility.

EDIT: But only if you don't mind that the cab has a maximum power handling of 60 watts.

5. pepi

pepi Member

Thanks fellows! The thought of China made speakers was the reason I've been looking at the Red Coat series.

6. spikeRI

pepi, tried to email you but, your email bounced........have you changed it?

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

I think Governors or Private Jacks would work well for your applications. I have a 212 of each and I really like them both. I play heavier music than you, but they sound really nice clean and slighty dirty as well. I'm also going to try the ManOWar too.

8. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I've tried Governors, Wizards and Private Jacks. To me, Wizards seem the most balanced and versatile. Nothing seems to be exaggerated with them - they just sound good and even. The Governors are darker, tighter and more aggressive in the mids - better for hard rock, I think. PJs have a softer bottom end and are more lo-fi. They might be good if you're going for more of a vintage vibe.

I'd say - of those three - Wizards would be your best bet for what you're playing.

9. pepi

pepi Member

Yes, I went to SBC and this site won't let me use my account. They think I'm a hacker :D

10. spikeRI

my lips are sealed....;)

anyway was trying to spam you with a offer on a avatar cab............email me if you are interested.

11. dave s

dave s Member

I always wonder ... which one do you mic at the gig? :confused:

dave

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Interesting, that's exactly how I'd describe the pair of Classic Lead 80s in my own Avatar 2X12.

13. Baba

Baba Member

I have a 4x12 with 2 and 2, I usually mic the V30, has a bit more "cut" for me, and I'm just more familiar with it.

14. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

I have a pair of Avatar 1x12s that I run with a Flexi, playing classic to modern hard rock. I started with the V30/G12H30 combo, but switched to a pair of Governors. I find the Govs to be less bassy and edgy, and thicker in the mids than that combination of Celestions. I personally prefer the Govs.

15. brent

brent Member

+1

SM57 on the V30, I find it gives most live sound guys what they are looking for

16. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I usually mic both (G12H30 and V30) and let the FOH engineer blend them however he wants.