1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Avatar 2x12 Cabinet - Multi-Jack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

I'm looking to purchase a new Traditional Avatar 2x12 (semi open oval back) with Celestion Golds. In general is it preferable to purchase two 8 ohm speakers vs. two 16 ohm speakers? I was thinking of using 8 ohm speakers because 8 ohms seems much more common and flexible for mixing/matching with other cabs and amps. Then the question is: series or parallel?

Do you recommend getting the Avatar multi-jack with two 8 ohm speakers? Then I can get 4 ohm mono (parallel I assume), 16 ohm mono (series?) or stereo (which I will never use). What do you guys think of the PCB multi-jack vs. just the standard Avatar mono jacks?

Also is there much risk in running a series configuration? I understand if one of the speakers blow then the amp will not see a load at all in series config.

2. jbright44

jbright44 Member

The multi jack is a good option I think because then I would say you'd have all your bases covered. I see lots of amps with either 4 or 16 Ohm but rarely with both. Typically you see 8 and 16 or 4 and 8 together.

As far as series v. parallel I think the idea that if the speaker blows is not a huge deal. It depends on how the speaker blows what kind of load change it would see (and it would never go to zero) and it's not like you'd play a blown speaker for any extended period of time to do enough damage.

3. pbmw

pbmw Member

Both of my 212 cabs are 16 ohm drivers in parallel

4. Unadan

Unadan Member

I've read (somewhere) that the Celestion Gold 8 ohm speakers sound better than their 16 ohm counterparts - any truth to that? Also I guess you lose the cab daisy chaining function if you get the multi-jack vs. the standard mono?

The basic question I have is should I get two 8 ohm Golds or two 16 ohm Golds? Which configuration will sound better or be more flexible (or is it a wash?).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If you're getting a 2 x 12, 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for to make an 8 ohm cabinet is probably your best bet. If you get 8 ohm speakers, your cabinet would have to be wired for 4 or 16 ohms.

6. markszabo

markszabo Member

I've never seen a tube amp that didn't have an 8ohm output.

7. Guild guy

Guild guy Member

I just bought a used Avatar traditional Multi jack 2 x12 cab and put 2 16 ohm speakers in it . The multi jack reads 16 ohm mono , but the cab would actually be 8 ohms . Will the multi jack circuit board work with this setup ??

8. yarffej

yarffej Member

bump for guild guys question:

I just bought a used Avatar traditional Multi jack 2 x12 cab and put 2 16 ohm speakers in it . The multi jack reads 16 ohm mono , but the cab would actually be 8 ohms . Will the multi jack circuit board work with this setup ??

9. Bubba_Leon

Bubba_Leon Member

Most jacks are wired in parallel, so it should cut the load into half of what it's wired at.