Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

I have an Avatar 2X12 Traditional cabinet with a closed back. I would like to convert it to semi-open back. My choices are:

1. Buy a new back from Avatar (partial open oval back) - for about $55 shipped.

2. Cut an oval shape out of my existing closed back rear panel.

3. Buy a couple of 3/4" 2X4's that would cover all but the middle section of the rear of the cabinet. If I go this way do I need to use baltic birch plywood or maybe just use any hardwood (pine or hemlock)? How important would getting void free just for the back portion?

Thanks!

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

if you cut the tolex in the middle of where you want it, and peel it back, then cut away the wood you want, then you can re-seal the tolex.

alternatively, you could make a removable middle peice so you can have the best of both worlds when u want?

3. Unadan

Unadan Member

Would you just install a single middle piece of wood vs. a couple of boards (one at the top, one at the bottom - leaving the center portion open?). What about using a hardwood for the back panels vs. the baltic birch ply?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

If you want to make it look good heres what you I would do:

Option 3: Cut three equal sized pieces (top, middle bottom) and a yard or two of tolex in whatever color your cab is...it's super easy, you would just sand your pieces, apply a little contact cement, and wrap the tolex around them. It's easy, cheap, and there are a ton of tutorials online.

I would start with the top and bottom pieces attached and the middle open...that way the bells of the speakers to be open to resonate, adding mids. Then if you want to experiment with sound, try having only the top third or bottom third open, that will accentuate more bass or highs in addition, respectively I believe. I would make 3 pieces total though, it would give you the option to easily close up the back if you want without having to remove the other pieces and then screw in Avatars 16 massive screw that hold the back panel in place.

good luck!

edit: If avatar is selling tolexed backs for only 55 bucks, that will definitely be the easiest choice...but won't give you the ease of switching between open and closed back, b/c you would have to rewire the speakers and stuff each time you changed the back. Unless Dave has changed something though, Avatar does not sell extra backs, b/c the way they order the parts for their cabs, each only comes with 1 back so to sell a back they would have to burn a whole cab.

5. Unadan

Unadan Member

^Thanks. I think that is great advice. What type of wood would you recommend for this project? Hardwood pine, etc., or baltic birch ply?

6. IceTre

IceTre Supporting Member

I bought Avatar's open back panels. The colors match, they are the right size, screw holes in place, so easy to replace and looks and sounds good. I'm not into woodworking, so it's worth $55 to me. If you're into woodworking-- or just cheap :) then you may want to try and make your own.

7. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

8. dennwall

dennwall Member

I have an avatar 2x12 that has a convertible back -- closed or open. I started closed, but removed the bit on the back to make it open. Maybe you could buy a convertible back from avatar?

9. Unadan

Unadan Member

^I'm looking into that. Only thing I'm worried about is, if I order the new back, will it fit into the existing holes that are already present in the rear frame of my cabinet. I really don't want to drill additional holes if it is somehow out of alignment.

10. Unadan

Unadan Member

Maybe the simplest and cheapest solution is to take the tolex off of my existing rear panel - cut it into equal thirds, reapply the tolex, leave out the center panel?

11. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

:agree
    It's worth the $55 to simply purchase the open back panel. Everything will match and look right. You'll also have the option of switching panels. After spending the time and money to modify the existing back panel, it's probably a wash dollar-wise.

12. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

13. Unadan

Unadan Member

Thanks. Silly as it might sound I'm considering just purchasing a new Avatar traditional semi open back cab because I need two speakers as well - instead of putting additional $$ into my existing cab. :bonk

14. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Just bought a used Avatar 2-12 traditional. The owner is not available due to divorce. Looks like it might have been a closed back based on the screw holes going all the way around. Looks like the owner stripped the tolex and cut out the center "third" of the back, so that there is now a plywood top and bottom with a straight across open middle. Also painted the plywood black. I say it's the original back because there are no new screw holes in the frame. This is my first professional type amp cab and it sounds fantastic. Very noticeable improvement from having the speaker in the combo (BFDR). No issues with the back panels.

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

+1 more

well that's just the best idea of all - more gear! seriously though, if my fellow TGP mates are to be believed, certain speakers perform a little better in open back and others closed. so you can fine tune your speaker choices. not to mention you could stack 'em up, run 'em in parallel and rule the world!