• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Avatar 2x12 Compact vs Traditional vs Vintage 1x12?

vintage66

Weight is a factor so that’s why I didn’t include the vintage 2x12 even though it looks really cool. Needs to handle up to 50w. I have a 4x12 with greenbacks which I’ll probably keep but need something portable. Thinking creamback(s) 65or 75?,G12h30/greenback, maybe Vintage 30 closed back.

DSL 50, Tiny Terror, probably run a Traynor Ycv40wr through it, classic rock, 90’s grungy, 80’s metal. I do have a Mesa Express 5:50 and there’s a youtube video that compares with a V30 cab and it sounds dramatically better so maybe that one too.

How much difference in sound in the compact vs traditional and/or the oversized 1x12?

Gridlock

I’ve owned both a Traditional and Vintage Avatar 2x12’s. I never owned their 1x12, so I’m not much help with your 1x12 question.

Both of my Advatar 2x12’s were great sounding cabs. My Vintage cab was ordered with two Creambacks and the Traditional had G12H30’s. The Vintage cab definitely weighed more and seemed to be more heavy-duty constructed. Both cabs were well built and I never had any issues with either cab. I would recommend either cab and I had a very good customer service experience with Avatar.

I did prefer the looks of the Vintage cab. I am just using combo amps now, so all my extension cabs are now all gone. I’m sure that Avatar would provide the weights of their unloaded cabs for comparison.

Last edited:

MissoulaGriz

I have a traditional 1x12 open back and it’s fantastic. I’ve run it with a g12h30 and it sounds huge. They are really well designed and high quality. I’ve got a Creamback 65 in there now and I typically run my 18watt Plexi head through it for practice.

Can’t go wrong with their 1x12’s.

vintage66

I have a traditional 1x12 open back and it’s fantastic. I’ve run it with a g12h30 and it sounds huge. They are really well designed and high quality. I’ve got a Creamback 65 in there now and I typically run my 18watt Plexi head through it for practice.

Can’t go wrong with their 1x12’s.
Nice, yeah, open vs closed is another conundrum for me, maybe one of those narrow oval openings would be good, I’ll have to look again at what the open back looks like.
I’m leaning creamback because I like greenbacks, I don’t have a good handle on how the g12h30’s sound.

vintage66

I just noticed that the traditional is listed at the same weight as the Vintage (bluesbreaker style) at 65 lbs. That doesn't make sense to me since I've read and it looks like the Vintage style is a heavier duty build and is taller. Does anyone have experience with these and how much they weigh? If I'm going that heavy I might as well get the Vintage, but that's only 15 lbs lighter than my 4x12.
I almost bought a 1965a 4x10 Marshall that's much lighter, maybe that's the ticket. I can get a traditional with g12h30 anniversaries used at a decent price but after checking the weight I'm not so sure I'll want to haul it around if it is that heavy. I'm worried that the compact won't sound as good since it is just that, with not much extra room around the speakers.

batsbrew

my vintage 1x12, closed back, tho you CAN take the back panel off and make it semi open.

i put a celestion heritage g12h-55 in it, which is only a 30 watt driver, but perfect for recording.
i'd put a creamback in it if i wanted more power handling

vintage66

my vintage 1x12, closed back, tho you CAN take the back panel off and make it semi open.

i put a celestion heritage g12h-55 in it, which is only a 30 watt driver, but perfect for recording.
Very nice! I’m leaning creamback if I go 1x12.

vintage66

C-4

I've got a zilla 4x10. It's great for what I want, but you should be aware that at least when i got mine three years ago he doesn't use t nuts, but wood screws to attach the speakers. This may matter if you plan on changing speakers a lot...

I sincerely appreciate your info! :)
I'm having it built with a Celestion Cream Alnico 90 speaker. It won't be being changed.

However, I may ask Paul, when I order, it if he can use T-nuts when he installs the speaker.

De Batz

I'm having it built with a Celestion Cream Alnico 90 speaker. It won't be being changed.

However, I may ask Paul, when I order, it if he can use T-nuts when he installs the speaker.
He may have changed, of course, and it may be specific to particular cabs. Mine is a 12mm ply open back 4x10 with p10rs, and it sounds really good. But i would be wary if i was constantly swapping drivers around... I've got it in green on black with a matching headshell for my heartbreaker. Pics later.

De Batz

To be fair the only time I've ever shagged out the connection was with t nuts in my orange ppc. Never killed a hole with a wood screw...

I just noticed that the traditional is listed at the same weight as the Vintage (bluesbreaker style) at 65 lbs. That doesn't make sense to me since I've read and it looks like the Vintage style is a heavier duty build and is taller. Does anyone have experience with these and how much they weigh? If I'm going that heavy I might as well get the Vintage, but that's only 15 lbs lighter than my 4x12.
I almost bought a 1965a 4x10 Marshall that's much lighter, maybe that's the ticket. I can get a traditional with g12h30 anniversaries used at a decent price but after checking the weight I'm not so sure I'll want to haul it around if it is that heavy. I'm worried that the compact won't sound as good since it is just that, with not much extra room around the speakers.
I have a Traditional 2x12 and Vintage 2x12, both open back. I have not weighed them, but the Traditional does not feel any lighter to me. That being said, the Vintage is definitely a bigger cab, so it's a bit more bulky to carry around. It is, however, the better sounding cab IMO.

The Traditional has a more focused and directional sound. The response is more contoured (slightly scooped compared to the vintage). The highs are more prominent. I'd say the low end response is about the same, but the Traditional is a little more punchy, whereas the Vintage is warmer and more balanced with better off axis dispersion.

Traditional = Focused in the line of fire, but lacks the dispersion of the Vintage. More punchy overall. More top end, less midrange.

Vintage = More perceived midrange, better dispersion, warmer top end, less punch but a more balanced warmer sound.

Here's a low quality but somewhat useful video I did that compares these 2 cabinets while loaded with V30s.

De Batz

One question - how much are you paying to get it sent (and where in Europe are you)?

Reactions: C-4

vintage66

I have a Traditional 2x12 and Vintage 2x12, both open back. I have not weighed them, but the Traditional does not feel any lighter to me. That being said, the Vintage is definitely a bigger cab, so it's a bit more bulky to carry around. It is, however, the better sounding cab IMO.

The Traditional has a more focused and directional sound. The response is more contoured (slightly scooped compared to the vintage). The highs are more prominent. I'd say the low end response is about the same, but the Traditional is a little more punchy, whereas the Vintage is warmer and more balanced with better off axis dispersion.

Traditional = Focused in the line of fire, but lacks the dispersion of the Vintage. More punchy overall. More top end, less midrange.

Vintage = More perceived midrange, better dispersion, warmer top end, less punch but a more balanced warmer sound.

Here's a low quality but somewhat useful video I did that compares these 2 cabinets while loaded with V30s.

Wow, thanks for the info and vid. Huge difference in the traditional and Vintage, I never would’ve thought they would sound that different. I do prefer the vintage in the demo. I might go check out a traditional with G12-30’s tomorrow. Anyone have any opinions on that setup? I have a vintage 30 I could swap one of them out for. I don’t know if it’s open or closed back. That demo makes me think it might be worth going with the vintage. I wonder how a 1x12 Vintage compares. It is very oversized.

Trending Topics