Avatar 2x12 - Eminence or Celestions?

Al Nico

I was pondering an open-back traditional cab to mate with a Hellhound head. I can get the standard Avatar combo of V30/G12H30, or possibly opt for one of their ebay offerings with Eminence Legends (1258, GB12, or V12).

Anyone with experience with both brands have any recommendations? Playing primarily 50/50 clean pop/jazzy blues, and classic hard rock.

Thanks

Al Nico

Yes, I meant "or":jo

Really - Looking at the Celestion/Eminence options right now for cost-effectiveness consideration.

Al Nico

Thanks.

Given that Avatar offers the Legends, do tyou think the V12 and 125 would be close to the Tonespotter/RWB combo?

fendergnl

If you are looking for the Heritage GB sound, go for the Eminence Private Jack. This is the closest to that sound with Eminence without paying the high price of a Celestion.

Al Nico

I got Eminence Wizards in my Avatar 2x12. I like em!

Here's a video from when I had just installed them. http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-55.php

I haven't really broken in the speakers yet either.
I've seen your HH vids - that's the tone that made me look at emis to begin with. :dude

I do like the Wizards, so maybe a Legend 125 and V12 would mate to give that same overall big clean sound??

It's cheaper to go with what Avatar stocks (the Legends).

Jwoo

Eminence makes their own versions of the Vintage 30 and the Greenback.

The Governor, and the Private Jack, respectively.

I haven't used the Private Jack, but I have a Governor in mine. Sounds very similar, if not better, than my friend's Vintage 30. Much cheaper, and made in USA too.

TIG

I have the G12-h,V-30 set up..works great for me!! Run my Rivera Fandango into this cab,have also run my Princeton Reverb through it.

MrChet

+1 for the Emi GB-12. These are a seriously overlooked speaker. I think they have more clarity than the Private Jacks played clean. Dirty they really rock.

rotren

I've seen your HH vids - that's the tone that made me look at emis to begin with. :dude

I do like the Wizards, so maybe a Legend 125 and V12 would mate to give that same overall big clean sound??

It's cheaper to go with what Avatar stocks (the Legends).

That is cool to hear! :dude

I think those Legends will get you very close. I hear they are really good.

Al Nico

thanks for all the feedback...

Now I'm debating between double GB12s, or one 125 and one V12. I worry that the 125/V12 combo will lack that classic rock mid grunt, at the expense of wide frequ response.

For those who have tried them, how do the GB12s sound clean in an opend back? Good 'nuff for Fender cleans?

MetalHeadd

I had a V12 and GB12 combo in a closed back avatar 2x12 at one point. I found the GB12 to be a little harsh in the top end, and the V12 to have significantly more bottom. I think the GB12s would excel much more in an open back design with a less bright amp than the various marshalls I was using with it.

I currently use one with 2 celestion vintage 30s and I'm quite happy with the cab. They make great products.

rotren

Just the 2x12 cab, because the cab is in 8 ohms and so is the Hellhound speaker. I have previously run a 4 ohm 2x12 cab so I had 3 speakers going at that time.

Mudder

I actually went with on Cel and one Emi in my avatar, v30 and Texas Heat. A pretty solid combo for rock.

Al Nico

Okay, I went for a Hellatone 30 and a Emi GB12 (higher wattage greenback) in a vertical traditional open back cab. Dave lets you mix an match whatever he has in stock on custom cabs. Hopefully this mix will give me good cleans and a righteous classic rock crunch.

Trending Topics