Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by silencer eleven, Jun 2, 2008.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

looking for any thoughts or experience with these cabs... which speaker configurations with which amps, how they compare to others (you could leave out stone age and bogner).

Jordan

2. rongtr

rongtr Member

I just recieved an Avatar contemporary 1X12", closed back, with a Hellatone 60 speaker. I put my Rivera Chubster 55 with a very used Celestion V30 on top of it, and it's a great combination. The speakers match up, and having a closed and open back combination is great. I would highly recommend their cabinets!!

3. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i own four of them. 3 2x12's and a 4x10 bass cab. wanted to see if anyone has any experience with their 4x12's.

Jordan

4. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

Hey Jordan. I've been hesitant to chime in because I don't have much of an educated opinion, but since you're not getting many replies...

I have a Avatar 4x12 with the Chinese Greenbacks. I absolutely love the sound, but I can't really make any valid comparisons to other 4x12s as I had played combo amps exclusively before owning it. I'm mostly a Marshall tone guy and I've played it with a Dr. Z 6545, Fargen Mini-Plex, Mini Plex 2, Mighty Plex, and the Olde 800. I've also played it with amps outside of the Marshall tonality like a Fargen Blackbird 20 and a Dr. Z Stangray. The thing I love about the amp is how it puts a Marshall-type tonal accent on just about everything I've plugged into it and before this cabinet I never fully realized just how intregal a closed-back 4x12 (plus the Greenies) is to the Marshall sound. Love the cab, but I will say this, I would be hesitant to pair it up with a head like the Stangray that puts out a huge low-end. The Stangray puts out MASSIVE low end and is optimized for a open-back cabinet, so the pairing was ill-advised and ultimately it was just too much for the cab. On percussive rhythm playing, I got this horrible cabinet resonance/vibration from where the rear of the cabinet and the center beam made contact. I opened up the cab and used a staple gun to attach quilt batting (sp?) that I got from an arts-and-crafts store to the inside of the back panel to deaden the vibrations. It worked pretty well, but the resonance didn't completely go away unless I adjusted the amp settings. I ended up selling the head for other reasons, but if I would have kept the Stangray I would've looked further into other solutions. I have to mention that I didn't have that problem with ANY other head and that cab though, so take it for what it's worth. Maybe the cab I got was atypical, I don't know...but I'd never buy another head for it without first plugging to two together to try them out. Hope that was a little informative.

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

thank you much! i actually just sold my stangray, was playing it with a avatar 2x12 w/ blues, and bought a mighty plex MKII that ben is building for me w/o the power scaling and effects loop. so your comments are incredible for my situation.

the one question i have is which model do you own? traditional? contemporary? vintage? also have talked to ben extensively on the phone and he recommended a mix of g12h30's and greenbacks so that decision is made.

i guess you could say that my two options are the traditional and contemporary cause i have to match the stage set-up of all our other cabs we have.

Jordan

6. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

Glad to hear to information was useful! I have the vintage cab. I really liked the way it looked with the MKII (I don't think I have pics...I'll look) but I think the thick sides of the contemporary would look great too and even the traditional would probably look cool.

Sounds like a great amp! I really liked the tone of the MKII and it is a loud amp wide open, but sold it as it was a little under-powered for an extremely loud rock drummer I play with. The original Mighty Plex I had was an outstanding amp (great cleans, nice crunchy breakup, and the volume was right)...but having that, an original Mini Plex, and the newer Mini Plex MKII led me to believe that Ben really had infused some extra mojo in his newer amp designs. I think you're going to love that amp! Also try out a Olde 800 someday if you get the chance. The cleans on the Olde 800 are much, much better than anyone expects, but if memory serves me correctly the original Mighty Plex had more clean volume and would be the best choice as a platform with pedals. I'm sure the MKII version will be even better! :)

Nick

7. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

awesome thank you for all the information. yeah i am really thinking contemporary, i actually contacted avatar to see if they could do a color scheme on the vintage cab and they said no. so traditional or contemporary it is. yeah ben said that the headroom is good for my uses.

wait you sold the mighty plex mkII or the mini plex mkII?

Jordan

8. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

I sold the MKII Mini Plex and the MKI Mighty Plex...and a MKI Mini Plex...and a Olde 800. :crazy Long story short, I went through a 6 month revolving period of buying/selling/trading amps to find out what I ultimately wanted to go with in the end, then I sold off nearly all my gear when some emergency bills came up.

Definitely pass on the info about how you like your MKII Mighty when it comes. In 3 years I'll be returning to the US and looking for an amp and my favorites so far were the Dr. Z SRZ-65, the Olde 800, and the MKI Mighty Plex. I'd love to hear about the MKII Mighty! :)

9. phatster

phatster Member

I got the 4-12 vintage cab with 30/60 hellatones in a X pattern.This thing keeps up with my bandmates early 70's hiwatt 4-12,I was stunned and still am!

10. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

awesome!!! to hear, have you tried the same amp through his cab?

Jordan

11. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I got the Vintage Cab as well. Mine has Greenbacks and sounds quite good, actually...

12. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

Same setup with my Vintage 4x12. I also have the traditional 2x12 open back with Scumback. Love both cabs.

[​IMG]

13. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I had a "traditional" 2x12 and I thought the construction was a little dodgy. I now have a "Vintage" 2x12 and it's made great. I believe the "contemporary" are made more similar to the "Vintage" cabs.

14. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

yeah they are supposed to be "like orange cabs". where as the vintage cabs are supposed to be like "marshall blues breaker" cabs. that is why with the vintage they won't change the colors out cause they have to keep the marshall feel.

Jordan

15. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

anyone own one of the contemporary 4x12's or 2x12's?

Jordan

16. jaycee

jaycee Member

Glad to hear you like this cab with your rivera. I have the same thing on the way (although traditional style) to use with my F50 combo. Looking forward to hearing it. :cool: