• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Avatar Alnico Speakers and Cabinets

skoora

Anyone have any experience with Avatar branded Alnico speakers? Anyone had experience with hearing the difference between the Traditional cab vs. the Vintage one?

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
Yep.The alnicos are the real deal. I have not compared the two cab types but I have a couple traditional cabs and they are well built and sound good

skoora

My fear for the traditional is because of it's size it may get boomy or have an artificially big low end. I like some thump like anyone but prefer a good balanced guitar tone.

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned the Vintage and Traditional Avatar 4x12 cabinets and there is a tone difference .
The Vintage cabinets sound slightly beefier and weigh more because of the extra wood used in the construction .
The Traditional cabinets sound more midrange and in your face tone but still fat sounding .
I found that one is not any better than the other , just slightly different in tones even with the same speakers.
I still have and use my two Avatar Vintage 4X12's with greenbacks with my Soldano and Marshall amps , I also chose the Vintage cabinets because I wanted that old school Marshall kind of vibe with rear loaded speakers with the correct cabinet dim size .

dbeeman

Traditional cab is not boomy to my ears. Vintage can lean that direction,but in the classic Marshall sounding way. I have both

crazyneddie

Looking at these too. I'd like a 1x12 with an Alnico to use with my 67 Princeton. I don't want to replace the original c10n, it sounds incredible, but I would like a 12" Alnico in a cabinet to use with it. I was pretty sure ai want a gold but I saw the avatar alnicos and wondered what was up with those too?

dbeeman

Looking at these too. I'd like a 1x12 with an Alnico to use with my 67 Princeton. I don't want to replace the original c10n, it sounds incredible, but I would like a 12" Alnico in a cabinet to use with it. I was pretty sure ai want a gold but I saw the avatar alnicos and wondered what was up with those too?
Both the Gold and the Avatar 25 watt alnico are great ..depending on tastes and application. For a Princeton, I'd go with the Avatar. It has more low mids than the Gold.