1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lttoler, Nov 20, 2005.

1. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

I posted a thread recently about getting a cabinet for my Mesa Dual Rect and responded by telling me to check out Avatar. Does anyone know anything or have any opinions about Avatar? Thanks!

2. mailman

mailman Member

Do a "search" for Avatar cabs and you'll find plenty! I have Avatar's popular G212H cab with Celestion V30 & G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers and it's tonally astounding! Great mids/upper mids plus excellent bass response. There are other great cabs out there, but not at Avatars' prices. Truly the 'best bang for the buck' IMHO.:dude

3. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

Ive seen many review on the cabs and most of them are good, but some of them say that you get about as much as you pay for. If the cab is as good as the mesa cabs, then I'd definatly wanna go with Avatar. I use a Crate Blue Voodoo cab right now and it breaks up at high volumes when i play a lot of low end.

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'm VERY happy with my Avatar. It's easily just as good as anything else in birch ply.

5. onemind

onemind Member

I AB'd my Avatar 2x12 (one Greenback, one Private Jack) with a TR112 and ended up keeping the Avatar. YMMV.

(s)

6. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

How do yall think the Avatar 410 cab with vintage 30's would compare to my Crate BV cab, because the Crate cab sounds kinda shabby.

7. Tinman

Tinman Member

I would not recommend trying to put Vintage 30s into a 410 cab. They are just too darn big.

8. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

First off, I wouldn't compare a 4x12 with a 4x10, two different animals.

I use a Dual Rectifier and I have A/B'd my Avatar 4x12 against a Mesa traditional 4x12, very close, they don't sound exactly the same, but the Mesa doesn't have enough of an improved sound for me to change.

I don't play metal, but I like a nice low end thump, the Avatar gives it to me, and doesn't fart out at all.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

I should be receiving one of their Premier 2x12 cabs this week for my Celestion Blues. The Avatar guys are great to deal with, and their prices are quite reasonable.

For super-cheap cabs, though, you might look on eBay for an outfit called "SS Cabs." I've heard some pretty good things about them, and their prices are ridiculously low.

10. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

Im sorry, I typed 410 bymistake. I meant to put 412. I do play rock a little towards the metallish side and i like to have good low end responce when needed. Money isnt too much of an issue with me because I'm really wanting to get a good sound, but I also don't see the sence in paying an extra $400 or so for something that wont sound that much different.

11. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

I bought some speakers from Avatar and they were very easy to work with and good prices, too.

I've been told the cabs are good as well.

:cool:

12. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I love my Avatar 2x12 cab. Dave is also a very easy guy to deal with.

13. blong

blong Supporting Member

Another huge fan of Avatar cabs. I have a 2x12 and will soon be pourchasing a 4x12.

Bob

14. bscepter

bscepter Member

15. hour9

hour9 Member

I have an Avatar 4x12 that I've been using for over a year.
    It's held up great and sounds great.
    I sold a Mesa Recto 2x12 to get it and I'm glad I did because I think it sounds better.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member