Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mdog114, Sep 14, 2006.

1. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I'm looking to get a new 2x12" cabinet and I've been leaning toward one of the Avatar 2x12's.

Has anyone here had any experience with them?

2. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

I have one and its awsome. I got a 212 premier cab in green with wheat grill. They are the best bet for the money.

3. mdog114

mdog114 Member

That's the model I'm lloking at.

Do you have the solid or split back model?

4. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

Dave has a good ear and is very helpful with recommendations on how to get your sound. IMO unless you've got money to burn avatar is a great choice. I'm very happy with my closed back 2x12 G12H30-V30.

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I bought one used and on the trip over the speakers ripped the screws holding them in place out of the ply wood. Luckily, the speakers weren't damaged and I used some filler to patch up the spots, rotated the speakers and it works great. The T bolts would be better though.

I don't know that it's avatars fault the speakers fell out, I don't know if the speakers had been changed out or what and somebody didn't overtighten the screws. The cab is fine now and it is actually nicely put together, I just might change the way the speakers are held in place in the future.

It really sounds great though.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I looked at those, BBQLS1, like you recommended... They look great, but in the interest of finances, I think I'm going to try and find a loud 10" speaker to go in my Champ II and leave it at that, or worst case scenario, snap up the $200 Mojotone 1x12"...

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

that link has no matches... I've seen this before, maybe you can't C&P links to search results?

9. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Awesome cabs!!!! I'm ordering a Premier 2x12 closed back with 20 watt Heritage Greenbacks for a little more than $600 shipped. Can't beat that with a stick!!!!

IPH

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Weird...it works for me. Reason I did that is I can recall discussing avatars many time.

Search-->
    Advaced-->
    "avatar" Keyword/topic only-->
    "Amps & cabs"-->click

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Maybe it's Safari on mac... I can search for things just fine, but links to search results often come up with nil...

12. monkeyland

monkeyland Member

i have a premier vintage cab loaded with the Hellatone 30/60 combo and an open back.it is the one that is like the Bogner oversized cab. it sounds really good with my marshall. i don't even miss my 412.

highly recomended

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

14. monkeyland

monkeyland Member

and i'll chime in and say that the search link doesn't work for me

15. jdps150

jdps150 Member

They use Tbolts now.

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Like Nike, just do it. :)

17. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Awesome cabs, I had a standard 2x12 w/ Greenbacks open back and it had a wonderful tone. I got rid of it stupidly and am now trying to get it back from my friend. Great cabs, and a little lighter than most.

18. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Just sold mine. They sound really good, but I bought a Zinky convertible cab for the option of going closed or open.

I'd buy Avatar again.

19. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I have 2 of em the standard black/wheat they do indeed use t nuts now, they're great cabs, i'm going to be selling one of em loaded with g12h30's just because i don't need 2 of em, but they are great bang for the buck cabs made really well and sound as good as anything out there IMO, i use to own a matchless cab that i sold after buying a avatar.

20. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

I have to say I've never been happy with mine, I'll be selling it soon. It's extremely BOOMEY and I have to back way off on the bass to tame it. It's kind of a mid boom though - the kind that hurts your ears. It's an open back with a Vintage 30 and the G12H, as I recall both the speakers are UK made.

I did find a thread where someone brought this up. However I know I am in minority here and that other thread I think was only one person voicing the same thing as me.