Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by McSoappy, Oct 13, 2006.

1. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Recently I've been considering converting my new Matchless Independence 2x12 combo into a head. I've been doing some research on fairly affordable cabs, and I've pretty much narrowed by search to THD and Avatar.

I was wondering what folks thoughts were on the two brands. (vs. each other or just individual thoughts on either company).

The Avatar's seem to get great reviews on Harmony Central, but they just seem to good to be true due to the price point on them.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Don't know how these fit your budget, but the Jenkins Highway 61 has been a great cab for me with many different amps and I'm also looking into an EarCandy Buzzbomb (w/ Eminence RWBs) right now for my Fuchs TDS.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

What about Heritage and TruTone Cabs?

4. brent

brent Member

the avatar is a surprisingly good cab, but the THD 2x12 is one of the finest 2x12's ever

5. homebrewer99

homebrewer99 Member

I vote THD since I think they are ported and would have better bottom-end response. Avatar is a great bang for buck though.

My personal favorite 2x12: Dr. Z "z-best" cab with mismatched celestions.

6. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Soappy, you old hippie. :D

I have a 1x12 Avatar. It's a good cab! Great deal too.

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

I was down to those two very cabs last month. Ended up going with the THD and I'm very pleased so far. Not sure about the availability now, but last month most of the major retailers had them on back order. Mine took 4 weeks.

8. n.j.

n.j. Member

I've got a paisley THD I was recently thought I had to sell, thankfully no one took it off my hands, because it's the best 2x12" I've ever heard. Sounds just huge, more bass than the Marshall 1960A my friend plays with. It's that good and it's loaded with the ever-questionable Celestion Lead 70s, I imagine one with "better" speakers would rule more. THD all the way. Plus get a used one if you can, deal of the century.

9. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Yeah I e-mailed you about the eBay auction for that cabinet.......man that thing is a looker...........whenever you get ready to sell it again let me know first.

DIBBS!!!:RoCkIn

10. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Isn't the 1x12 the cube looking one?

11. n.j.

n.j. Member

Ha! Small world. I'll keep you at the front of the line should another money crisis/too many cabs situation come up.

12. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Sounds good bro. Thanks!

13. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

For the relatively small difference in price, I'd go with the THD. I play a THD (Vintage and Longhorn) and a Germino 4x12 (Celestion Heritage G12H30s).

When I play the THD I don't feel like I'm missing much bottom end thump at all...and that's saying something.

I honestly don't know how they (THD) do it, considering how small and lightweight the cabinet is.

14. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I thought there was a significant price difference between a 2x12 Avatar and a 2x12 THD.....like around 200 bucks?

15. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

yep, copy of the Bogner dimensions... Mine has an Eminence Governor in it. I know, cheap compared to your Tone Tubby's and stuff :eek:

16. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

You must be thinking of a different guy, I don't own any Tone Tubby speakers bro.

17. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

The THD port is more of an open slat in the middle of the back. Avatar's Premiere Vintage "Open-Back" Cab has moveable panels to adjust where the "port" is at. The THD is a great sounding cab though, but I like the speaker options available from Avatar, plus their prices are so good!

18. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I thought Avatar makes Bogner's cabs for them?

I wonder what the THD would sound like compared to the Bogner OS 2x12?

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The Avatar 2x12's are great. Their 4x12's arent as nice-too small I think. (I own both)

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

this is the gear page...that is not a significant difference...