Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

What's the deal with these? Everyone seems to be using them and without doing any intense research they seem to be more than fairly priced new on really well priced on the used market (even when loaded sometimes). Good stuff?
    I'm going to have a head cab made for my amp and I was going to convert the current 2x12 to a speaker enclosure (including retolexing or refinishing - if possible) but I'm looking at some of these Avatar's and they seem pretty sweet.

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Did you already do a search of these forums? These cabs have been discussed at great length, and there's probably more info in past threads that you are likely to get in this one.

3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

They are as advertised. I am very pleased with mine. Very solid.

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

They're awesome cabs for the price. Actually, even disregarding the price, they're awesome cabs. I'm on my second one, a Vintage series 2x12 (G12H30's). I've also owned a custom 4x12 with 2 V30's and 2 G12H30s. It was too big for me and I didn't like the sound of the closed back configuration. My new 2x12 is open back and it sounds awesome with my Orange Rocker 30 head.

5. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

+1.

Also +1.

6. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

good stuff reasonably priced, I like mine alot.:AOK

7. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Many threads & mentions of Dave Noss/Avatar here in TGP.
    Bottom line as we beat this horse to the ground: great prices, styles, speaker selection, solid build quality, +1 delivery, ownership.
    Go to Harmony Central and see just how liked they are too.
    Every company should have this batting average.

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks guy, just looking for a quick and easy answer. Didn't mean to waste anyone's time. :nono
    Anyway, they look and sound nice. Maybe I'll try one out.

9. codyj84

codyj84 Member

I have one and its GREAT!

I run a Hellatone 30 and a Hellatone 60 2x12 semi-open back. Its a great sounding cab! Highly recommend!

10. ?&!

?&! Member

+1. I have an open back G112 Vintage with a Hellatone 30, and a closed back G112 Vintage with a Celestion Gold. You cannot beat these cabs for the price.

11. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Dave is truly a great guy and I imagine his 2 X 12 cabs are fine but I really, really disliked the cube-style 1X12 closed or opened back. I just sold one on eBay. Too small a box and too stiff a board for the baffle (it's 3/4" - should be 1/2" to be resonant). Sounds very stiff and congested - not resonant. The opened back one was boomy as hell (probably because the cab is so deep). I guess it's alright if you are playing very loud Marshall-style crunch but I play more Fender-style clean. A cabinet is part of the instrument the way an acoustic guitar's body is a sound box - a cab should be designed as a musical instument, not just a box to put a speaker in.

12. GaryT

GaryT Member

I have an open back Avatar 2-12. Modern style metal grill. Running a mix of Celestions G12h30 and Greenback. LOVE IT. Cab is very solid, very well made. Quality construction and parts. Love the tone! Use it as an extension to various tube combos, or under a number of tube heads. Sounds good with all of them. By the way, I prefer the mix of the G12h30 and Greenback to the more popular G12h30 and V30 combo. I don't care for the V30s, too much mids. The reediness and grit of the Greenback mixes very nicely with smooth lows and highs of the G12h30.

13. jpgtr

jpgtr Member

+1 for Avatar cabs

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Anyone waste time on the internet? naaaahhhhh :AOK

15. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Just ordered a brown tolex G212H Premier open back with a G12H30 and an Alnico Blue. 4 Ohm total.
    Changing a Matchless 1x12 combo to a head cabinet and will run it into the Avatar.
    I didn't order the aged G12H (Hellatone 30) cuz the Blue will be unaged anyway. I think I'm gonna rig up a sonic aging via a boombox into an amp and into the cab. so I can pummel it continuously for a while without having to be there playing guit. to do the same thing.

Only might have to augment it with some Beam Blockers...we'll see.

16. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

What's the best way to rig up an aging set-up? The G12H30's in mine are unaged, and I wouldn't mind aging them.

17. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

Avatar makes a good cabinet for a fair price. However, it does not compare with the THD, in my opinion. I've played a Komet Concorde, a JCM800, and a Germino Club 40 through an Avatar...all three sounded much better through the THD.

YMMV.

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Your money may vary?
    I'll take the Avatar with celestion g1230 for $250 shipped. I just wish it was a bit lighter.