strangec

Gold Supporting Member
I'd like to get an open back panel for my G112W which is closed back now. Dave says they only get one back panel with each cab. Anyone know where Avatar has their cabs made so that I might try to get an open back panel?

germs

Yeah, China.

Not to say they're bad cabs. I own one and gig it regularly.

But if you need another back you'll have to make one if avatar doesn't offer one on the website.

freaksho

Silver Supporting Member
Hate to potentially add to the speculative & bad info this thread will likely produce but it runs in my mind that they're made in Mexico, not China.

I'd just have someone else make it for you. Any small maker should be able to whip one up in no time. For ex, call Tim at Saxon Cabs.

Otherwise, I agree with the above comment: just leave the panel off. And Avatar does offer some cabs with the open/closed back options (my Vintage 112, for instance), just not that one apparently.

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a 2x12 Traditional last year, and the last I heard these cabs are made by a company owned by Dave's son (likely in the same area as Avatar; Idaho). They do sell an enclosure piece for those (like me) who bought an open back. I have the enclosure piece on.

335guy

It's my understanding Avatar contracts out the cabinet construction to local builders. It would make no sense to have such a bulky yet inexspensive item built overseas, or even in Mexico. Avatar specs the designs, then puts them out for bid and contract. Since Avatar does not build them, they offer little customization. But the cabs are of very good quality, especially for the price, offer a good warranty and a wide variety of designs and options. The traditional style does come with the option of open oval back OR a screwed on closed back in the 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cabinet. I think the 4 x 12's are all closed back.

cisspcism

I am under the impression the cabs are built else wherem but they tolex, grill, and add speakers inhouse.

Over all a great product and great company. I have ordered many times from them.

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure Mojo use to build them. 335guy is right when shipping and fuel prices went up they subcontracted them out locally to cut costs. I'm not sure who does the tolex and grills.

strangec

Gold Supporting Member
Mine is the G112W. It has a semi-open or closed back option. I got the closed, but I wanted to try the semi-open withe the oval opening. That's the piece I'm trying to get Avatar to supply to me.

mmorse

They seem to have made some changes. I had a 212 open back traditional cab that I was able to get a closed back for from Avatar a couple of years ago. They don't seem to offer just the backs anymore.

I also have a couple of G112 cubes that they have discontinued. Those cabs were an either or proposition as the backs were permanently attached.

daveAvatar

Thank you for your comments.

Our cabinet maker is actually just a few blocks away from us in Idaho. The reason we only have one back per cabinet, is so the back matches the cab perfectly. Due to different tolex thicknesses, the back has to be cut accordingly.

For example, the red tolex is thinner than the blonde tolex. So if you had a large quantity of precut backs, all the same larger size, you would end up with a blonde cab that you would never get the back into. Or if you cut them all to fit the thicker tolexes, you would end up with an unnecessary gap on the thinner tolex cabs.

The same thing goes for grill frames. For example, the silver/black weave and the gold/black weave are a tiny bit thicker than the wheat, black, ox, etc. So we have to trim those frames down a little bit. Again, for a better fit.

We strive to give our customers the best quality possible.

Eric Noss
Production Manager

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
Call Avatar directly and ask them. They're a small operation and, IME, are very friendly and helpful.

I have 3 of their cabs and think they sound great! Plus the prices were awesome.

Broon

Avatar cabs are made here in my back yard - Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, just east of Spokane, Washington. They assemble them and finish and cover them right there in Idaho.

samuelson

I've bought several cabs from Dave at Avatar. Great Guy; called me back several times about my wiring questions and I've been on the phone for a long time just talking about music and cabs and all that. Great people to deal with and a very good, american made product. great deal on celestion speakers too.

Bikedude

Platinum Supporting Member
I've bought several cabs from Dave at Avatar. Great Guy; called me back several times about my wiring questions and I've been on the phone for a long time just talking about music and cabs and all that. Great people to deal with and a very good, american made product. great deal on celestion speakers too.
+100, I ordered a Vintage/Open?C-Blue to match my Carmen Ghia. Dave called me and said that the S&P Grille Cloth material was basically the same stuff that Dr. Z uses, but Dr.Z runs the pattern in the oposite direction. Dave then sent me a cab that just about perfectly matches my CG. And, yes it sounds fantastic, it's pretty light, and I'm diggin it. Thanks again Dave.

Trending Topics