Avatar speaker Cabs.............

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Aug 12, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I'm going to be ordering a new 2x12 bottom for my new soon to be aquired Jim kelly FACS amp.

So many great options all at such reasonable prices. How do you all feel about mixing speakers? Do you have some favorite combinations? Wizard and the Govenor? Or should I just save my money and go with the stock vintage 30's?

How would 2 very different speakers like a 25w greenback and a reasonably higher powered Wizard or Celestian Blue sound?

Has anyone experience with the Celestian Blues? Are the blues worth the extra money?

I'm seriously considering the One Alnico Blue and one G12H30 option...........my amp is rated at around 45 watts with 4 6V6's BTW..............Thanks for any help with the decision process!! :cool:

2. 69strat

69strat Member

My fav= red fang and greenback. Totaly awsome!!!

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Can you expand on that a little please? Does the greenback clean up at all or is it always overdriving with the clear heedroom of the higher wattage speaker?

Now I'm thinking maybe.............4 25 w greenbacks instead ..........:rolleyes: Help! At these prices I'm want everything!

4. Bradders

Bradders Member

I have a cab with 2 25W greenbacks in it and wit a variety of amps powering it ranging from Hiwatt, to Zs etc.....it sounds great - -breaks up nicely, good, balanced sound ( sure the cab make up helps!) but I love the 25W greenbacks.

Bradders

5. sicktone

sicktone Member

I have an Avatar 2x12 with 1 Celestion Blue and one G12H30. Sounds killer. (I play a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and a Germino Masonette through mine.)
    I actually didn't think the cab would be a keeper because of the low cost, but its built like a tank and sounds great. Plus Dan and the other guys at Avatar are super helpful.

I just ordered a Governor and a Private Jack to install in another 2x12 cab I have. Another cool combination. My little Eminence experiment:D

6. el34power

el34power Member

I have a JCM800/2203, with a JCM800 4x12 loaded with 2 greenbacks and 2 red fangs. Sounds fantastic. They compliment each other without any of them overpowering the other.
    I also have a mesa 3/4 open/wide cab with a Weber Ceramic blue dog. witch gives me a simmilar tone to the 4x12.
    If i were to get a 2x12. I would get a Weber ceramic silver bell/ ceramic blue dog combo.
    If you want to get all at Avatar a Green/Fang will sound great for sure.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks for all the insight so far..............

Those Blues are expensive though. I can actually get a 4 x 12 of greenbacks for much cheaper then a combination blue/ G12 or 2 Blues. Are the Blues that magical or are you just paying for the
    mystic? It would be awesome to be able to hear some clips of the different combos and speakers pairs............

8. sicktone

sicktone Member

I hear you on the price of the Celestion Blues. I actually "borrowed" the idea from Fred at Divided by 13 back when he was getting started. 1 Blue and 1 G12H30 is the right stuff. I've had cabs with 2 blues or 2 G12H30's neither sounded as versatile.

I think it's a combination worth the cost. You can really cover a lot of frequency range. It's like chocolate and peanut butter:D

9. pepi

pepi Member

Had mine for a few days. I got the V30 and G12H30. They are starting to break in and it sounds SOOOOOO good :dude What a cabinet for 300.00 bucks

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/G412 SPECIAL.htm

OK...........I'm pretty much down to either the 1 Blue and 1 G12H30 at $499 or the 4 Greenbacks at $388!! Thats just a sick price. I could even mix it with 2 70th year Anniversaries and 2 Greenbacks . What should I do? I had a much easier time picking out Pick ups and guitars...........:confused:

Is more better? It will go to the occasional gig but spend most of its time parked in my Music room............:confused:

Price is an issue...........I hate to waste money, but Tone is the thing I'm concerned with. $100 is well worth it for a much better sounding rig.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Excellent.........
    What kind of head/guitar are you using and what type of music please?

12. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

I at one time had a mix of a weber bluedog (ceramic) and a Old G12M 55hz that has been scumbacked. I thought the blue dog overwhelmed the greenback (101db vs 97db).......now mind you the blue also had a 50 oz magnet instead of the stock 40. I now run the Scumback recone with a stock silver bell in a swanson instead of the avatar and the difference in volume is not near as lopsided...............I mention this cuz I've heard real Blues are pretty damn loud....

13. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have one with the V30/ G12H30 combo and use it with an Allen Old Flame Head. Sounds great.

14. sicktone

sicktone Member

That is another great combination. I have those speakers in a Top Hat King Royale. Less loud and thick than the Blue/G12H30 to my ears when plugging the KR into the cab. Sometimes a good thing or not so great depending on what you're playing.

Every amp is going to be a little different. Honestly--none of the speakers mentioned in this thread are going to sound "bad".

My personal fave for (Rock/Metal) 4x12 rear loaded cab is the V30/G12H in an x-pattern. YMMV

I'm a chronic speaker mixer now. Blame Fred Taccone

:dude :D

15. VanStone

VanStone Member

I'm guessing by your selections that you probably play something like blues, jazz, or country (if you mentioned your preferred style of music I missed it somehow, sorry). I play some blues, but mostly rock and hard rock and am quite enjoying the combination of VIN30 and G12T75 Celestions in my Avatar cab.

Best,
    V

16. pepi

pepi Member

Please don't laugh but I use an old Peavey Special 130 and plug a ValveFX preamp into the line in. It really sounds good :dude

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Why would I laugh? Didn't Skynerd use old Peavy amps? Dosen't EVH use Peavy amps? Not exactly lacking in tone are they!? ;)
    Its refreshing to hear someone here that dosen't have the boutique flavor of the month amp.

I don't even have the amp I'm gonna be using in my hands yet........I'm picking it up on Sunday from Mark Kane. Its a Jim Kelly FACS head with 6V6's and just sounds like EXACTLY what I've been looking for. So I'm really just throwing caution to the wind and buying a bottom for it as well and hoping its the sound I've been looking for.

I dig Blues.........SRV of course, Freddie King and Mike Bloomfield come to mind right away............as well as Peter Green and The Allmans. I like a nice SRV type clean that I can Chug with.........and a nice sustaining Overdrive that I can jam with Allman Brothers style. The Kelly's 2 channels with the built in attenuator should give me exactly what I want . I want a Cab that can get me nice Fat blues and Rock tones.

Is a 4 x 12 greenback cab too much? Is it a one trick pony and not versitle? What speakers are best to mix and match? These are the things swimming in my head and I'm gonna ask Dave personally tommorrow on the phone whats best for me and order it up. :dude

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

All I got was Daves answering Machine..............he finally wrote back he was away for a few days. So I have an extra day to choose what I need before I call him on Monday...............Help me out People!!!!!!!!!

What are your favorite Speaker options and why!? 4x12 Greenbacks or 2x 12 speciality speakers?

Opinions and experiences please...............:cool:

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

My son just ordered a 4 x 12 with V-30s from Avatar.

I don't know how Avatar does it...you can't buy the four speakers WITHOUT the cab from most dealers for the price he paid WITH the cab.

These cabs have to be the deal of the century! (well, ok, but it's a good deal!)

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Exactly! Which is why I'm thinking of getting 4 x 12 Greenbacks............. $388!! :p

But if it ain't gonna be as versitle as some of the other choices..........