Avid Eleven Rack for live use

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by chuckmoose, May 21, 2015.

1. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

I am considering trying out an 11r for direct to PA live use with ear monitors. I will be playing mostly low to mid gain, styles ranging from blues, almost jazz, country, classic to modern-ish rock. I would love to hear people's experiences, what they like and dislike, and of course what they feel is working better for them and why. What controllers are you using with it?

One specific concern I have is whether or not there is a sound gap between programs when changing patches. I have seen this mentioned once, but never again in any forum posts I have read.

2. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I've been using my Eleven Rack at church with a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro for MIDI direct to PA for a little over a year. I recently bought an Electro-Voice ZLX-12p powered monitor, but I'm not overly fond of it.

The 11 Rack has limited effects. My only real beef with it is that I use dotted 1/8th note delays on several songs, and as I tap in the tempo, the delay sound warbles really bad as it tries to match what I'm tapping. I hate that. We don't use click tracks, so I HAVE to tap in the tempo.

One feature I love is that I run a steady signal from the XLR out (mono) to our PA, but have it set up where my front panel's volume know only affects the volume going to my powered monitor. That allows me to adjust on the fly without affecting what the FOH is hearing.

I've recently purchased an Atomic Amplifire and am waiting for the Atomic CLR active wedges to come back in stock. Then I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison and have a better idea of both units' strong points. I just don't care for how the Atomic sounds through the EV monitor.

3. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

That's great info, thanks. How about the patch changing issue? Do you experience it?

4. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Oh, yeh. I forgot you asked that! :) I haven't noticed an issue. But I only use 2 patches. My main rock patch with an overdrive that I can kick on and a clean patch that is dotted 1/8th note delay. So perhaps I'm not the best judge! :)

5. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

Here are my clips from IEMs and FOH of the Eleven Rack in a live context:

chuckmoose and Lawless33 like this.
  6. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Roy, I never did get much of a chance to try your patches, but I need to now that I have a guitar with single coils! :)

7. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

drgonzoguitar, those are really nice sounds and definitely in the direction of what I would use. It only reinforces my thought that the 11r could be a good choice, but I am still concerned about a patch switching delay. If anyone has direct knowledge of this I would appreciate it.

8. texasdave

texasdave Member

Lawless, the warble tapping a delay happens on the "analog" delay. You can use the stereo digital and tap and re-tap without issue (and still send a mono signal)

chuckmoose, if you haven't visited the Eleven Rack section on the Avid forum, you need to. http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

I don't steer people to other forums often, but there's a wealth of 11R info there and people who are still using it every day and can answer questions quickly.

Foot Controllers, virtually anything can be set up to run it. I wasn't using program changes often, and i left my Roland FC-300 set up just for FX changes and Tap Tempo. I put the unit in a rack I could stand on end and just bumped program changes mid-song. I could have done it from the board, but I mainly used a couple presets and modified the delay settings with the pedalboard. I wrote a brain-twisting-numbing post on it over thereā€¦ Seems like EurekaProm was doing some good work on their 11R Eprom for the Behringer board. Up to date info should be on the Avid board.

Texasdave

Lawless33 likes this.
  9. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I liked mine when I had it. I used a Ground Control Pro to control it. Yes, there was a bit of a lag. I forget now but I don't THINK there was delay/verb spillover but I could be mistaken. I think it did if you used IA's within the same patch but not if you changed patches. Not sure if that matters to you.

10. maxx77

maxx77 Member

Never felt any lag when using it live (or practicing)
    The monitor choice is important

11. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Thanks, texasdave! I had no idea. I will definitely be switching the analog out for the stereo delay.

Wes

12. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

pretty smooth switching from what i remember, and that is a stickler for me.

13. reo73

reo73 Member

I switch patches (I have about 20 set up) with my 11R using a Voodoo Labs GCP and have not noticed any drop-out and I am also sensitive to that. I say go for it with the 11R. Great piece of gear.

Lawless33 likes this.
  14. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

I appreciate all the responses. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an 11r, we'll see how it turns out!

This discussion also made me remember that I have a Boss GT-5 still in it's flight case from a long time ago. I pulled it out just to start experimenting with direct sounds and was surprisingly pleased at what I was able to get from it. But more importantly, I realized I can potentially use it as a controller!

Lawless33 likes this.
  15. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

@drgonzoguitar if you have these patches available to share, I'd love to give them a shot. They sound great and your playing is even better!

16. jrjones

jrjones Member

I used one this morning. It sounded pretty good. It wasn't my dc30, but it weighs about a tenth of the matchless, which was nice. I used the Behringer midi board with the eprom chip.

17. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

MoPho likes this.
  18. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

19. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

Roy, thanks so much! I look forward to trying these out in a couple of days.