Avoiding abrupt beginnings

rockdoctor42

I'm just getting into recording and mixing and all my songs sound like they have the smallest fraction of a beat chopped off the beginning. The effect is very unsettling and I would like to get rid of it. Any advice?

Monotremata

Are you hitting record and starting right at bar 1?? I still don't trust DAWs so let it run to bar 2 before you start playing. If youre using a click track, just give it a couple measures to count in.

MLG Audio

Also if you are using a count off click, you are probably anticipating the beat slightly. Almost everyone does it. Especially me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Empros

Yea, start everything at bar 2 and see how that works out. You're probably jumping the gun or coming in slightly late.

whackystrings

If I understand the problem correctly, it is the playback of the recorded/mixed production that sounds cut-off. My golden rule is have 0.8seconds of silence at the start of the track before anything audible is heard. Latency of the the file loading up for playback *may* be the culprit here and it is actually cutting off the first X milliseconds of the track. I add 0.8 seconds of silence at the end of the track, too.
Perhaps post a clip on soundcloud and let us give it a listen.

Staticbuster

I've also found that if you are using lots of plugins this "cut-off" sound can happen. Particularly if your computer isn't really able to handle all that you are throwing at it.

B Money

are you using noise gates on your track(s)? That slight delay could be the time it takes for the gate to open.

Rex Anderson

I have a D/A in an expensive piece of hi-end hi-fi gear that loses digital clock lock and cuts off the head of tracks on CD's.

There is a way to set a delay time so it won't happen, but so far I have not been able to get it to work properly. Very frustrating.

You might look at your D/A clock and make sure you are synced properly.

straticus

I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is you're talking about but if you're hitting record and immediately starting to play, that's not good.

I always "let it roll' for at least a few seconds before any playing begins. Then we have the drummer click us in, usually with a four count before we start playing. That really helps with any over dubs that might need to happen at the beginning of the song.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom