Awesome backline gear

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Schroedinger, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

Did a gig at a resort on a Carribean island last week. Brought some of our instruments and let them provide the backline gear. Get to the stage as they open the cruddy, chewed up cases and take out... an all-original blackface FEIC Twin Reverb. A 1959 sunburst jazz bass. They obviously had no idea what they had, it was just old stuff to them.

Any other cool backline stories?

2. davebc

davebc Member

Did you ask if it was for sale, or trade? It's on borrowed time...

3. jo2012

jo2012 Member

I played a club down in LA with a handful of other bands and the back line was...

1966 Fender Super Reverb (I requested a Super but I didn't know they had an original one)
    1968 Marshall Superlead with 1060A Cab
    1971 Ampeg SVT
    1965 Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Hands down the COOLEST setup ever!

4. Dias3

Dias3 Member

During Desert Storm, we were 5 musicians with no instruments. Then we heard that the local recreation office had "some old instruments" locked up. We asked, they opened up a locked room, we opened cases, and found Gibson and Marshall all over the place. The rest of our tour wasn't so bad after all...

5. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I did a Gospel gig down south where they had an ancient old Epiphone amp for me.

6. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I have never had a backline amp be anything of serious quality. I am jealous! I'd lose my **** if I showed up to a blackface Fender.

7. Greentone

Greentone Member

The Bamboo Room in Lake Worth always had nice stuff, though I think they are closed now.
    First time I went in they had a Blackface Super, Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Tweed Deluxe and (I'm not good with these) an old Vox AC-30 of some sort. They had a nice B3. That was one of the only places where I never bothered dragging my amp out of the van.

8. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Eh, usually stuck with RI Fenders or Hot Rods of some sort. Did a festival and they had an AD30 and 4x12 and a JCM800 and 1960A. I got stuck with the Orange and after playing it for a bit I kinda wished that it was a Fender Hot Rod.

9. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I do open mic with my band in a very small coffee shop/art gallery/IDK how to describe it in Hazel Park, MI. They have an original bandmaster and a rhoades.

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

We played the International Pop Overthrow in Chicago a few years back and the backline were all nice Victoria amps. That was fun.

11. jbraun002

jbraun002 Member

Back when I was aspiring to play jazz, I sat in with a friend's band at a downtown jazz club. He said to just bring my guitar - the club has an amp.

The club had a 196x Fender Twin. Played there a couple of times, and I swear one of the best tones I've ever enjoyed in my life came out of that twin turned up to 6 or so. Which was weird, because aren't twins supposed to be super loud? But it was glorious.