• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Awesome Fret Polisher!

photoweborama

Over the years I've used different things to polish frets.
I used Brasso, that worked great, but was messy.
I've been using polishing paper for the last few years. You can get them on StewMac, but I found a new method that works just as well as anything, is much quicker and CHEAP!

One day I noticed my wife buffing her nails. It dawned on me that nails are softer than frets, so whatever she is using won't hurt frets, and should be able to polish frets just as well as fingernails.

Thus enters the "Ms. Manicure Block Part 4 way buffing block".

I just use it like the instructions say, and I get a really nice, highly polished fret!

Here is a sample, I don't have any before and after photos yet, but I used the block to polish the frets on this Strat.

The cost???? $1.00 at Wal*Mart!

photoweborama

No need to tape off the board at all.
I just run it over and then oil it. If you press really hard it will hit the wood, but in general you don't have to push that hard to polish the crown. That way it does not touch the wood. I don't do a single fret, I do as many as I can fit under it. Multiple frets also requires a lot of pressure to touch the wood, but if you press it right, it won't touch the wood.

Much easier than polishing papers, that's for sure.

As far as the neck pocket, I'm not really discussing that. That's the way Fender routed it.

blong

I discovered this not too long ago while shopping with my wife. Thanks for posting for everyone else.

Also, that neck pocket is tight compared to my 1978 strat. The strat still kick's ass. If the appearance of the neck pocket makes you turn away from a guitar, then you may want to start correpsonding with one of my all-time favorite guitarists who gets slammed for being OCD about certain things, Eric Johnson. Just kidding of course, so don't get pissed.

Bob

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using nail buffers and sanders for about 20 years on a variety of guitar related applications.

CyberFerret

Handy handy tip! Thanks for posting it...

You know, I played classical guitar for years, and used to use nail buffers pads to keep my nails shaped correctly and in good condition to play.

Never, ever thought of using them to smooth and polish frets!! :aok

rushcentrale

Bo Faulkner said:
Ive been ruining my wifes nail buffers for 15 years or more! welcome to the party!
Likewise! Not quite as long as you, but they work great! Even less abrasive than 0000, but still gets the job done

leray1

Great find, thank you for sharing. I've been using something similar, little square 3M pads that came with a headlight restoration kit. They're getting worn out, so I'll have to put this on the grocery list.

Gary Ladd

pןɹoʍ ןnɟɹǝpuoʍ ɐ ʇɐɥʍ
Silver Supporting Member
I found a better solution, I switched to stainless steel frets :aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom