AX8- 2 questions........ (frfr vs guitar cab for u for live use, and why selling?)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ericb, May 9, 2016.

1. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey guys, 2 things

1) I'm definitely surprised at how many AX8's I've seen bought and sold. It's really strange to me. Are you guys who are selling really dissatisfied with it? Was the timing bad moneywise because of the long wait? Were you looking for Presets that would be perfect for you? Did you run out of horsepower while programming it? Does it sound worse than the other Axe-Fx products? I have had an Axe-FX Standard since it first came out. I LOVE IT. I can only imagine the AX8 sounds better, and is killer! I'm almost to the point of getting one, but just shocked at the amount fs on this forum, and curious as hell!

2) OK , I don't see myself going a FRFR route.. Maybe someday, but not seeing it now. . .With my Axe-Fx Std, I use it through an ENGL Poweramp and through either 1 or 2 speaker cabinets. I program every patch myself, as none of the presets are what I wanted. I program very simple stuff but it works for me. Did most of you use the AX8 through FRFR , or guitar amp /cabs? Just curious again! :) Eric

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

The AX8 had so much hype before the launch, that everyone wanted one, and it created a huge re-sale market. It was so easy to buy one for $1440 try it out, and if you didn't like it you could easily flip it and walk away with $100 in your pocket. The guys who sold them in January made a lot more $$$ too.

To me the Ax8 sounds much better with a PA speaker. A real cab is great for heavy fuzz\distortion, but you loose so much of the amp details, similar to the blanket over the cab issue.

Personally I liked the AX8 tones, but ended up spending too much time working on the presets. The Amplifire could use some more FX options, but its a lot easier to just plug in and play.

3. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I'm definitely going to be getting an AX8 - and may have to sell my FX8 in the process... the sound of the AX8 is exactly the same as the Axe Fx... it's just somewhat limited as far as processing goes... depending on how you use it, the CPU thing is either a non-issue or a deal breaker... the same is true for the FX8... I've PERSONALLY never had a CPU problem, but others gave up on it out of frustration...

and yeah, everyone that truly loves it seems to be using FRFR... well, almost everyone...