AX8: Amazing Tones but>>>> Tough to get around!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rdamato, May 5, 2016.

1. Joe Rogers

Joe Rogers Member

On the Front Panel:

Start on the FS (Default) tab of the main screen. Use the "NAV" knob to select the desired footswitch. Twist the "A" knob in either direction until the Footswitch Block that selects the desired preset is displayed and hit <ENTER>. For example, if you wish footswitch 1 to select preset 1, select the Footswitch block labeled "PRESET 1".

If you wish this footswitch to be the same across all presets, you can make it a global footswitch BEFORE you select the function as described above. To make a footswitch global:

Navigate to SETUP->GLOBAL->GBL FS

Use the "NAV" knob to select the appropriate footswitch and change it from "PER-PRESET" to "GLOBAL".

Now, Press <EXIT> until you return to the FS screen and follow my instructions above for setting the footswitch. Once a global footswitch is set, it will hold that function for every preset.

You can find more details on footswitch assignment on page 33 of the AX8 manual. Available in PDF form on the Fractal website:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/AX8/AX8-Owners-Manual.pdf

Cgkindler, veritechc and mikah912 like this.
  2. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yeah, I love the delays and reverbs. I meant more for CPU reasons I would explore external hardware delays and reverbs. Sound wise, they're great.

3. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I just meant that I haven't personally found a delay/reverb situation the FX8 cut handle. I don't mean that I can't max out the CPU, but that all those sounds are there if I use delay creatively. I have yet to need two reverb blocks ever on a preset. Maybe that's just me. :)

4. musickbox

I'm using the ax8 not the fx8. I could be wrong but there's less restriction with the fx8 if I'm not mistaken. I run into problems with either side chaining or adding anything outside of my general set up.

My rig:
    compressor
    drive
    amp
    cabinet
    volume
    delay (digital)
    delay (analog)
    reverb
    looper

And that's at 80%.... so if I add any additional blocks (like pitch, chorus, etc) I will hit the wall at some point. Im genuinely torn because it's potential is great. Right now, as is, I think it's not where I want it to be. Maybe after a major updates or two, it will get there.

5. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

There a few small differences between the FX8 and AX8 but they aren't really related to what we're discussing.

The way I use the FX - which is basically the exact same as on the AX8 - in fact it's easier on the AX8 for a few reasons - is that I make a preset for every song. I don't have any songs where I need 2 delays (which is really 4 delays minimum) more than one reverb block (2 reverb settings at least - more really with scene controllers and expressions pedals) and pitch and chorus. I CAN get all of that though. Just not any more. So some songs I use 8 slots, some 4, some 6 etc.

To this say I've never had a song where the FX8 couldn't cover all the sounds I need... But that's by using a per song preset and scenes setup.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  6. musickbox

Yes, I'm trying to avoid doing is a set up like that. It makes sense for CPU efficiency but I'm very reactive with my rig and I'm constantly changing and adding sounds in moments. I play in too many groups/genres to out every single song as a preset.

Also, I do use all those blocks/sounds at once. And I flirt with that CPU limit when I do.

Cgkindler and TimeSnow like this.
  7. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

hmmm...

well I CAN get comp pitch drive delay delay reverb trem and filter in a single preset, but I would just rarely do that... if having access to endless sounds at once is your goal the FX8 (or any multi fx) might not be right for you... with x/y you DO get double the sounds - kinda, but at the end of the day there's only gonna be 8 sounds ever at your feet... a regular pedalboard can easily offer twice as much... as long as you have the muscles to carry it around :)

musickbox likes this.
  8. musickbox

Haha. I don't mind one heavy board if it means no amp. I'm used to taking my board only to most gigs. This set up is so I have more control of what my sound out in the mix.

TimeSnow likes this.
  9. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I gotta say that this thread really does not present the AX8 in a good light. CPU limit maxing out? A difficult UI that a user can't easily figure out how to assign a footswitch? Sounds awfully familiar to the complaints that people had with the HD500 five years ago (and at least the HD500 costs $1,000 less and comes with a built-in CC pedal). Hard to believe that people are willing to accept these limitations in a current "state-of-the-art" product.

10. musickbox

In its defense, it is really great sounding overall. This gear shows me that I can replace my whole rig easily with an Axe-fx. But depending on your style and what you play, this will be more than enough. For me and my needs, it's limiting at the moment. Also, the whole expression pedal not included is 100% great idea IMHO. A lot of guys I know don't use one. Also I prefer the feel of specific expressions pedals so this allows me to mix and match.

AX8 is good, I just don't think it's there yet. Not a bad thing. I sold my Strymon Timeline twice before sticking with it long term. SoI just have to be patient until that happens with the AX8 or whatever the next thing will be.

veritechc and TimeSnow like this.
  11. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Wellllll.... It's a but like saying I can't believe you spent over 100,000 on a car with no radio or air conditioning... What a ****** car.

The AX8 is no more able to have infinite processing power than any other piece of computer based gear. It does work better for some people than others... And some people choose to integrate it into larger rigs.

Sure, even of you had a top spec computer as your guitar rig it would crap out eventually.

The UI is based on the AxeFX UI and is what it is.. It's not the Helix, but kinda so what? Many people are happy to not have a flashy UI if it means they get all the other stuff the AX8 offers; other disagree. Ain't choice grand?

And sure the Kemper looks practically stone age compared to the AX8, but that doesn't stop people from loving the unique tools it has to offer.

Judging the AX8 against an imaginary computer with limitless CPU isnt really a fair metric... And a lot of people are dismissing the UI without really bothering to spend time with it.

Try it and see what you think. I've personally NEVER had CPU issue and don't have issues with the UI... though the Helix looks easier it's also completely unable to do something the AX8 can do... The same goes for the Kemper. I Nedd those things and wouldn't change a better UI for a lot less functionality.

12. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Who knows what the limits are until someone actually tries one out and learns how to use it. Until then it's all just blabber. It's easy to find diametrically opposed opinions online in relation to the various brands strengths and weaknesses. One person's yeah is another person's meh. I have little faith in the indirect critique that resides on forums.

Clips, tips, and tricks on the other hand at least have some degree of the tangible accompanying them.

13. jageya

jageya Member

1st gen of any product is usually like this. 2nd gen is usually much better. hd500 vs hd500x....mustanf ver 1 vs ver2...cybertwin vs cybertwin se...vox valvetronix vs vox valveronix vtx...and so on..

14. dray3573

dray3573 Member

My AX8 made its debut today in a live setting and it was absolutely amazing in every way right out of the box. It may have its quirks and limitations, but my sound has never been this good, ever.

I have a H9 Max to use in the loop if need be and it was not needed today at all.

Gearzilla likes this.
  15. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Huh? Kemper is SO far ahead of the AX8 in the UI department.. there's nothing archaic about it's UI... Gigged it for right at a year then switched to the AX8... no comparison, especially if you add the Remote...

I'm having trouble with hitting CPU limits all the time with the AX8... there's not much the AX8 can do that the Helix can. I have them both currently on hand... please make me a list. It'll be a short one... conversely the list of what Helix can do that he AX8 can't will be MUCH longer. The way that the AX8 can handle parallel effects is probably it's biggest advantage if that is your thing... (It is not mine.)

I have zero interest in being Team Fractal, Team Line 6, or Team Kemper... (I think I've been able to stay objective and not champion for any one device.) it all comes down to what works best for your situation... At this point the Amplifire is the only modeler only major Modeler I do not have first hand experience with... it's limited foot control is a non-starter with me.

tvegas99 and Guitardave like this.
  16. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Helix is definitely cool if someone likes how it sounds. It's chocked full of features at its price point.

dray3573 likes this.
  17. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I didn't mean the Kemper UI but the functionality like scenes, the way the buttons can be anything and stuff like controllers. Oh and x/y . and of course it's two units.

And the same goes for the Helix to a degree ... I can't do automation - which I use all the time and I can't use scenes - wouldn't be without them now and x/y.

That's only two three things but they're two HUGE things to me and lots of other people!

As for CPU - I honestly can't help you there; I use a preset per song and scenes and x/y and it's a non-issue.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. jpage

jpage Member

I love Fractal but their UI really sucks. Not intuitive at all IMO. The forum is incredibly helpful.

Flying_V1968 and 3dognate like this.
  19. 3dognate

3dognate Member

I do use X/y with scenes... but I don't use Hold for X/Y that's a useless feature to me, with scenes it's ok. It makes my foot switching too slow with the change on the upstroke.

And Kemper has Morph (Which is really cool... and will rival scenes if they expand it to more than one target.) Kemper does need to expend what you can control via remote switches and expression links. And yes ditching the rack is why I am vetting out the AX8 and Helix...

Lets hope they take note and adapt next product... they have the tones.... that UI is like the Linux of UIs... Utilitarian and designed by developers... (good developers are rarely good User Interface designers.)

20. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

So, to get what you need, one has to add on a $700.00 effect box? Makes no sense.