AX8: Amazing Tones but>>>> Tough to get around!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rdamato, May 5, 2016.

1. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

You might want to insert the word might there....;)

dray3573 likes this.
  2. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

MIGHT

3. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Plenty of people utilize multiple pedals along with all the major modelers. Some don't.

Whether it's a requirement or not is relative.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    dray3573 likes this.
  4. Flying_V1968

Flying_V1968 Member

I feel ya there. I spent many years with a standard and was a very competent tweaker directly on the unit. AX8 was a whole new learning curve. Good thing AX8 edit is so good! Not to mention the tones - just awesome.

3dognate likes this.
  5. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I dont think the Fractal UI is the issue here... It is not "bad" but at the same time its not really easy too use. That has been the case from the start. Fractal has so many options and sub menus, that there is no simple way to navigate it. Someone had made the request a while back to offer a "dumbed down" version of the firmware without all the advanced parameters... basically like the Line 6 M9 interface. The problem with doing this is that you would loose a lot of functionality. Being able to assign modifiers (ie: an exp pedal) to any parameter, or multiple parameters is very useful. I dont see an easy way to navigate this with a slimmed down menu\UI.

6. 3dognate

3dognate Member

A damn page left button is not too much to ask for. I repeatedly find that annoying, I swear I spend double the time in the front panel when editing because of that. I dislike that when I use tap tempo that my display changes to my delay also... no need to do that. Just a simple display of BPM in the blank space to the right above the foot switch boxes would suffice....

Modifiers are indeed awesome... the controller assignments LFOs are cool too for rolling weird stuff. I've asked for assignable LFOs in Line 6 stuff since the HD series came out... I made good use of them on the GSP.

7. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

You have a clip.... :)

Yes it can be helpful. Though there's also lots of misinformation floating around.

I'm definitely thankful for Axe-edit.

8. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

The page back thing is easier on the FX8... you simply double tap "Page" to go back... not sure why they added the shift button - and there's also some hidden double tap features... well not hidden, but not obvious!

9. rdamato

I'm the OP and while I'm gonna work through the cumbersone UI, I'm not thrilled with it. Frankly, it's antiquated.
    As I said earlier, Cliff and Co. need more real world beta testers. Not full
    time musicians, not computer savvy techno geniuses, but weekend warriors who have 20 minutes before a gig to set up their boards.

Many of us expect the latest technology in our daily lives. Why not expect the same when doing something that probably brings us endless joy??

3dognate and tvegas99 like this.
  10. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I thought you had it for trade in the Emporium for a Kemper?!

11. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I actually don't find the UI a problem. As far as I'm concerned, a floor modeller should have good edit software, which the AX8 does. Who want to either put their unit on the desk or repeatedly bend over to edit? Not me! I do everything via AX8 Edit. I found that an issue with the Helix, it was too big to fit on my desk(if I wanted to use the exp. pedals I'd have to put it on the floor) and if I had it on the floor my back was killing me from bending over constantly. I'm also thinking that tweaking at a gig would be limited to volumes for the most part. If you don't have your presets set up before hand you're in trouble. I am by no means a Fractal fanatic, as most of you know, but the UI never did bother me.

12. veritechc

veritechc Member

The Helix has an editor now. I agree all of these units should have a editor but you also should be able to easily edit on the unit also.

13. rdamato

That does not change my impression of the device.

14. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Ya, I had one when they were first released, before the editor and firmware updates.

15. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I'm like 50% with you on this comment. The problem is, for most, those tiny screens editors all require some sort of learning curve. It never feels feels intuitive IMHO. Also, anything with complex set ups, I can't imagining using a cursor to select without feeling annoyed. I would say touch screen would be the best solution for that and we're far away from seeing anything like that.

veritechc likes this.
  16. mikah912

mikah912 Member

No, I mean you say you're going to slog through it, but you've now had it up for trade in the Emporium twice. That suggests you've given up and are NOT going to continue further.

17. dray3573

dray3573 Member

Makes no sense to you, but thanks for the insight.

18. veritechc

veritechc Member

What does the H9 add for you that the Ax8 doesn't have? Are you using it to get past the CPU limitations?

19. dray3573

dray3573 Member

Basically, but as I had said previously, I have not needed it yet for that reason. There are other benefits to having the H9 though, which would be consistent with why anyone would add any pedals through the FX loops of any modeler.

veritechc likes this.
  20. TianJay

TianJay Member

I agree with @TimeSnow... I've never had cpu issues with the AX8 and as much of a PIA the user interface is, is made up for in spades by the excellent AX8 Editor...

The AX8 just sounds incredible and as I stated earlier, i've had em all... in fact i don't remember my Axeii ever sounding as good (maybe it was a pre Quantum thing). For fear of sounding like i'm gushing, the AX8 is everything and more that i've always hoped for in a floor processor.

dray3573 and TimeSnow like this.