AX8: Amazing Tones but>>>> Tough to get around!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rdamato, May 5, 2016.

1. AZG

AZG Member

I personally would prefer having Bluetooth built in and wireless connectivity to a nice app on my smartphone or iPad than a Helix like UI. I always have my smartphone on me and I can use it without bending over :)

2. veritechc

veritechc Member

The Helix folks said they didn't included a Bluetooth interface was because the Bluetooth standard isn't fast enough for two way communication. My guess is its the same thing for the Ax8.

3. AZG

AZG Member

Then go with WIFI. One way or another wireless is completely doable.

jpage likes this.
  4. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Doable, but problematic if you use it live... Look at all the issues that the mixers with built in wifi have. So many people carry wifi enabled cell phones, and this blocks your ability to use a wifi mixer at gig where you have a big crowd.

5. Noah

Noah Silver Supporting Member

After reading all these reviews saying how hard the AX8 is to navigate I think I'm gonna really think hard the next day or so on purchasing. It sounds miserable to work with from everyone's descriptions. I've owned 3 versions of the Axe-fx and never had any problems though. On a positive note, they must be almost completely caught up, because I put my name on the list just a few weeks ago. Hopefully people will stop trying to resell theirs for silly prices.

veritechc likes this.
  6. veritechc

veritechc Member

I'm with you on this. I have a Axe Fx 2 and am thinking about getting a Ax8 for live use. I have literally had the unit in the Fractal cart three times. I do not use the interface on the front of my Axe Fx at all. I don't like it. I have been totally ruined by the Helix UI. But Axe Edit is great and easy to use. I am thinking that for live use I can Edit the AX8 in the studio and get it perfect. Then I am truly considering controlling it from my Helix if I find the Ax8 UI too much to deal with live. I already have this setup with the Axe Fx and it should be easy to translate. It would also allow me to offload and functions that either the Helix or the Ax8 lack to the other unit. My only issue is having two large pedals on the ground. Before a year ago I did everything from a rack. Now I'm contemplating having a huge pedalboard.

One of the things that I have seen some Ax8 and Helix users do is add a Eventine H9 to their unit. Heck it's not all that much more to get a Ax8.

7. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Mine just shipped, and I had no problem paying for overnight.

I have concerns about the interface, but my experience with the Helix was that once I got the signal chain and switches (or in Fractal's case, X/Y and Scenes) set up in a patch, I rarely touched anything else on that patch.

I think the AX8 will be much the same. I'm giving myself time to settle in with the new UI and switch heavy workflow, so don't expect any elaborate "First hour/day impressions!!!!111!!!1" threads from me.

I think some people are prematurely bombing it just like I think a lot of early Helix users didn't give it a fair shake before learning to configure dual/cabs/mic/IRs to their taste. These are complex and uber-capable machines. They deserve a considerable time investment before anyone pronounces judgement on them.

veritechc, TimeSnow and Noah like this.
  8. AZG

AZG Member

I'm going to guess it's more of an implementation issue than an inherent issue with WiFi. It's successfully used in hospitals, restaurants, airports and many other high traffic areas without issue, so it should be doable in music. I also know it is successfully used locally at a number of relatively large outdoor events. So some vendors must already have it figured out reasonably well.

9. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Apples to oranges, they use different equipment. Look at the hardware used in hospitals, restaurants, airports. It's not a little $100 Linksys router you get from Best Buy. They are high end routers and switches that cost $1000's and you cant shrink it down to fit in a small pedal.

10. AZG

AZG Member

I had the Axe-Fx II for over 3 years. Now have the AX8. The interface is pretty much the same for me. Maybe a little more confusing due to fewer buttons, but usable once you learn your way around. I do all setup with AX8 EDIT, and only minor adjustments at gigs on the UI which I find easy enough. Unquestionably the UI on the Helix is much nicer, but quality of tone and feel are most important to me so I returned the Helix.

Noah likes this.
  11. gp81

gp81 Member

All this talk about the AX8 UI, I don't have any trouble with it at all.
    I set up the basic sounds with the editor, which is really fantastic. It took me an hour or two max to figure everything out on the front panel. I read the manual a little bit for a couple of things. The X/Y functionality is amazing and easy to program. The screen is awesome, as it shows what pedals are available and where...the amp controls with led's are really great. Getting around with the soft knobs is easy.
    It is small, easy to use and sounds incredible.

12. Jhatem81

Jhatem81 Member

have you guys seen the amplifire screen lol. All i care about is good sound and good edit software. Edit your patches as good as possible using editor so there is minimal tweaking when you go live

13. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

There are several radio frequency analysis tools to help choose open or less used frequencies/channels. We use WiFi with our mixer and between iPads if we end up with junky connectivity we can use a couple of tools to pick a better channel/frequency on our WiFi or Wireless devices.

14. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

The Amplifire screen.... :spit