AX8 CPU Question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Evisious, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Evisious

Evisious Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Have an AX8 on the way and was curious what the CPU usage would be on a setup I will typically use:
    • Compressor (Assigned to switch 1)
    • Wah Pedal - controlled by EV-1 pedal.
    • Drive 1 (Assigned to switch 2) w/ X/Y state
    • Drive 2 (Assigned to switch 3) w/ X/Y state
    • Phaser (Assigned to switch 4)
    • Amp and Cab (I assume this has no affect on the CPU usage as there is a separate processor just for this...
    • Chorus (Assigned to switch 5 w/ X/Y state
    • Flanger (Assigned to switch 6 w/ X/Y state
    • Tremelo (Assigned to switch 7)
    • Delay (Assigned to switch 8) w/ X/Y state
    No Reverb, I'm going to use an external pedal as I've heard it uses up massive amounts of the CPU. Hoping I can do all the above and keep it under 90% on the AX8.

Would anyone be able to load up a patch like above and let me know what the CPU usage looks like?

Thanks so much!

2. mikah912

mikah912 Member

3. josetxu

josetxu Member

Are you going to stack drives and use all that modulation effects in the same song? I don't think you're gonna have enough CPU if so...

4. Evisious

Modulation effects would all be used separately, just wanted to have access to them at any time...

Likely stack the drives, might have two dirt pedals on Drive 1 X/Y and two different fuzz pedals on Drive 2 X/Y.

5. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

You'll want to revise that to 85%. Any higher and you start having issues. That said, I don't think you'll have too many issues getting that patch running. You might need to play with a few options to lower CPU, but you should be fine.

6. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

99% sure without reverb, you could use all those FX on one preset. It would depend on what options you choose to compute the CPU usage.

7. Evisious

Cool, I'll give it a go once it arrives and report back. Appreciate everyones input!

8. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I'd suggest that once you start playing with the drives - they're extremely deep - you may not need to stack them... I went from stacking dirt and fuzz with my pedalboard to just using a single drive block on the FX8... just so you know...

Dr Git likes this.
  9. Strat O Matic

Strat O Matic Member

You should be fine without reverb. In the event that you do go over the limit try using a scene controller on the amps gain instead of the 2nd drive pedal.

TimeSnow likes this.
  10. Evisious

Great, thanks so much for all the feedback, I'll give that a try.

11. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

Honestly, with over 200 amps and the amps blocks boost switch you can probably get the tones you are looking for without using drives. And then you can use the excellent reverbs in the AX8 on top of the other effects.

12. Evisious

Yeah, that could work great. How does the boost switch work on an amp in the AX8? Is that something you can use on a footswitch to push the front harder or like turning the gain up?

Thanks!

13. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The boost switch in the amp adds a 12dB boost to the amp front end. It is equivalent to setting the input trim to 4. You can also set input trim to a controller and control it with scene changes or just with an expression pedals. When it comes to Fractal, there are usually multiple ways to accomplish a given task.
    -
    Austin

AZG likes this.
  14. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Honestly you don't want to sacrifice reverb from the AX-8, its that good....secondly, i find that i barely use the drives as the amp gives me all i need. I pretty much just use the drive as a boost for soloing. Also the reverb will get cut off if you run out of cpu on certain presets if it reaches the max. I find all of this works for me

X-Mann and TimeSnow like this.
  15. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I always recommend that people try and play to the strengths of the AX8/FX8 instead of trying to replicate their old way of doing things... They're so powerful in ways a board could never be that you should just go in and learn what it all does then find solutions that work for you: they're in there.

Dr Git, Pietro, AZG and 1 other person like this.
  16. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Say what you want about the UI, but I think having the workflows be so versatile is one of the great strengths of the platform. I'm glad people are finding ways to adapt to the somewhat reduced horsepower of the AX8. It's a testament to the scalability of Cliff's vision.

17. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Also, the reverb echo density is a CPU killer. If you bring it down to 5 or 6 you can save a lot of CPU power... If you are playing a gig with a band no one would be able to tell the difference.

18. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

Hmm... Attaching input trim to an expression pedal sounds like something I should try since I have an extra pedal laying around. Clean to mean and everywhere in between with just one pedal :)

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

This is true of Axe, AX8, FX8, Kemper, Helix, Amplifire, anything.

I use Helix TOTALLY different from how I thought I would, in ways that are better, not just different.

And know that if you're coming into a new product/new workflow... in a month or two, you'll write all new patches with the new better way of thinking that you can't possibly learn until you've had it a while.