Axe and AX8 users who have experience using BOTH units...

Chris O

Just got my invite today.

It seems to me that the only thing you're really giving up at a fairly basic level is the ability to run two amps in tandem, and maybe some processing power. Beyond that, it's essentially the same for the most part.

1. Sound quality - is it the same to YOUR ears?
2. Give/take - if you aren't a two amp user, do you feel like you're missing out by using the AX8?
3. Processing - Is the processor on par with the A2 Mk2?
4. Floor use - Do you feel like you're missing much "on the floor" flexibility vs the rack and MFC?

Trying to decide if I should sell and "downgrade"... Obviously I don't want to miss out on the sound quality I'm used to, but I'm far from needing the in/out and overall huge level of flexibility the Axe2 offers - I'm pretty simple in my setup - dirt>>>amp>>>delay>>>modulation>>>reverb. I go into a power amp and cab, so I'm not using IR's either.

Thoughts?

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
Context: I own both units.

It isn't the same to my ears it is, empirically, exactly the same. Same code, same sound.

2. Give/take - if you aren't a two amp user, do you feel like you're missing out by using the AX8?
No, not missing out on anything in my case. My main Axe-Fx II presets are single AMP/CAB block presets. I had to shuffle some of the features in to multiple presets on the AX8 to cover all the same ground. It's not a big deal for what I do. I wrote a thread about it here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/adapting-an-axe-fx-ii-preset-to-the-ax8.108037/

No. And I wasn't expecting it to be. You can't do as much simultaneously in a single preset in the AX8 as you can in an Axe-Fx II. Of course, it's also like what? Half the price? So it's fine. The switching set up gives you excellent X/Y control over block though so you can still do quite a bit with some creativity.

4. Floor use - Do you feel like you're missing much "on the floor" flexibility vs the rack and MFC?
They're different. I use them for different reasons. So when I'm using the AX8 I don't feel like I'm missing something because I'm not trying to have it be something it isn't.

Thoughts?
Try them at the same time. Worst case you sell the AX8 and get back exactly what you paid for it if you discover it's not a fit for you.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
I owned an Axe FX II Mk II for a couple/few years (used it with various midi controllers), sold it, got an AX8, sold it and got an Axe FX XL+ and MFC101

Sound quality is the same. But that is not to say that the sounds will be the same. If you use parameters in the Axe2 amp and cab blocks that are not in the AX8 like the cab preamp or room or dephase or the amp bias trem (there's more stuff; check the Axe wiki for a full list), then you won't have those to use in the AX8. I do use some of that stuff, but not having it on the AX8 was not a problem for me

Kind of. In terms of base amp tones, no. In terms of the ability to seamless switch between amps/cabs in a preset, yes. If this is something you don't do, or you don't care about seamless switching, then you won't care.

Nope. Although I think it will be more than enough for the chains you say your run. I found myself appreciating (and using) the extra horsepower in the Axe2 more after using the AX8.

I would say you have this the wrong way around. IMO, the one way in which the AX8 is superior to the Axe FX/MFC101 is the floor control options. Being able to set the footswitch functions on a per/preset basis is huge. As is the ability to have effect on/off switches perform as X/Y switches with a long press. Literally my only regret in going with the XL+/MFC101 setup is sacrificing those awesome control options. And it's possible they'll add some more goodness as far as that is concerned since the product is still new.

At any rate, since you already have an invite, just go for it and decide for yourself. Just make sure you don't sell off your Axe FX 2 before you've had a chance to use the AX8.
-
Austin

AZG

I owned an Axe-Fx II MK II for about 3 years and now an AX8 for a few months. If you can live within AX8's limitations you may actually find it to be an upgrade. I did. More space for IR's and presets, integrated footswitches, portability, etc. outweighed what I lost. YMMV

Danny W.

+1 on this. There's a bit of functionality I miss, but it's more than made up for by the flexible switching and overall ease of use, plus it's the same size as the MFC-101 by itself. The AX8 is a complete win for me.

Danny W.

wcfields

I owned an Axe-Fx II MK II for about 3 years and now an AX8 for a few months. If you can live within AX8's limitations you may actually find it to be an upgrade. I did. More space for IR's and presets, integrated footswitches, portability, etc. outweighed what I lost. YMMV
I like the AX8 better. For me the all in one is perfect. The limitations aren't a problem at all for me...

leftyvic

Because my primary stage preset is complicated (onboard effects loop on the guitar) the only limitations I have found with the AX8 is the less number of blocks you can use (single row with no send and return blocks), which I was able to get around by just creating 3 different presets as the extra blocks were ones that were not used at the same time anyway. The only other thing I have not been able to figure out it why stepping on the tuner button mutes only one of the two inputs instead of both, as it does on the rack unit. But I would happily trade those limitations off for not having to haul around the rack case, the rack stand, Ground Control Pro and extra cabling that all required.

hippietim

Just got my invite today.

It seems to me that the only thing you're really giving up at a fairly basic level is the ability to run two amps in tandem, and maybe some processing power. Beyond that, it's essentially the same for the most part.

Trying to decide if I should sell and "downgrade"... Obviously I don't want to miss out on the sound quality I'm used to, but I'm far from needing the in/out and overall huge level of flexibility the Axe2 offers - I'm pretty simple in my setup - dirt>>>amp>>>delay>>>modulation>>>reverb. I go into a power amp and cab, so I'm not using IR's either.

Thoughts?
I own both.

1) Sounds identical

2) I never use two amps. I have only hit the CPU limit a couple times and it was while I was in the middle of creating a new preset by modifying an existing preset. Once I deleted the block I had deleted the unnecessary blocks there was no CPU limit.

3) It's the same family of processor but it's got less horsepower.

4) I don't like bending over constantly to edit so in that regard the rack unit is nicer. But with the PC editor it's irrelevant.

Trending Topics