• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Axe and/or Kemper with pedals video?

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Hi all, I have been a big time fan of the HD500, 11R, and Tech 21 modelers for a long time, but am going to make a leap to the big leagues. I have wanted an Axe for some time now, but all of the sudden the Kemper is really intriguing me too. I am a big pedal user, and while I know each of these units has excellent built in fx, I enjoy using my pedalboard too, and want a unit that I can use them with as well as the built ins. I think I would be happy with either of these units as they are both extremely capable. I am wondering if anybody can post links to videos that show people running their pedalboard into either of these units? I do not want this to be a which is better thread. I really just wan to see how they each sound with pedals.

stratotone

Silver Supporting Member
No videos here because I bought the kemper to GET AWAY from using pedals - for me it's all about being able to show up with kemper, midi foot controller, monitor and guitar. However, fx sounded fine in front of the kemper, and you can also assign a fx loop as an effect (stereo or mono) and place it anywhere in the signal chain. I know you asked for a video and I didn't provide it, but your next question was going to be where in the chain and how. Hopefully this helps a little bit. I used a variety of pedals in the loop, and it took everything well.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Really my biggest concern is how modelers take OD and fuzz pedals in the front.

LqdSndDist

They take them just fine, up front or in the loop, which both units have. I thought I'd end up keeping at least some of my pedals after getting the Axe II, but I've sold off every single one of them.

Just no need for them when you can dial in the exact sound of any fuzz I've got. Skreddy p19, Box of War, MJM London germanium and silicon, Dunlop Hendrix bc108, Skreddy Lunar Module, Roger Mayer Axis, you name it, every fuzz I've got I was able to match with some knob tweaking.

They sound equally good out front too of course, and certainly impress other gear heads having a big pedal board, but after spending $2k on the processor, seemed a bit needless to have easily that much money tied up in pedals that I didn't even need and wasn't using. Didn't want to be just a collector with a bunch of pedals sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

Better to put that money into a good foot controller and some EXP pedals which just let you do so much more. Instant recall of settings, choices of routings and effects mix, foot control any parameter and more.

I'd try it out first of course before you sell anything, but I think you'll be quite surprised as the tones you can get without the pedals.

s0c9

Really my biggest concern is how modelers take OD and fuzz pedals in the front.
Why ??? The whole purpose of using a modeler is to get rid of that "effect" stuff (since it's mostly built in) and lighten the load. Plus you have multiple amps/cabs at your finger tips.

I've stated numerous times on this forum that the biggest challenge people have with going to a new rig is that they start by trying to make it sound the same as the old rig? Definition of insanity come to mind? If you want to sound like the old rig, play the old rig! Duh..!!

One goes to a new rig because one is obviously not happy with the old one.. and that includes pedal boards. Since I moved to modelers (currently Axe-II) I haven't used a pedal board in yrs. Sold everything. I totally get the "comfort zone" thing, but sometimes one needs to take a leap of faith. :dunno

Try without the pedalboards. Modelers are not tube amps and most have OD and Fuzz flavors built-in.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Why ??? The whole purpose of using a modeler is to get rid of that "effect" stuff (since it's mostly built in) and lighten the load. Plus you have multiple amps/cabs at your finger tips.

I've stated numerous times on this forum that the biggest challenge people have with going to a new rig is that they start by trying to make it sound the same as the old rig? Definition of insanity come to mind? If you want to sound like the old rig, play the old rig! Duh..!!

One goes to a new rig because one is obviously not happy with the old one.. and that includes pedal boards. Since I moved to modelers (currently Axe-II) I haven't used a pedal board in yrs. Sold everything. I totally get the "comfort zone" thing, but sometimes one needs to take a leap of faith. :dunno

Try without the pedalboards. Modelers are not tube amps and most have OD and Fuzz flavors built-in.
I respectfully disagree.

LqdSndDist

I respectfully disagree.
And you've never yet owned an Axe II and/or Kemper, so seems like it would be best to wait until you get one or the other, try it both with and without your pedals and then form your conclusion.

Over the years that things I've said I've never see myself owning/using/liking would make quite the long list.

I said I'd never want a tele, got one, love it

I said I'd only use tube amps, now also have an Axe

Said I was always going to be a go-to Marshall guy, now a modded Bassman is my number one rock amp

Said I'd only use analog effects, then went Strymon, Catalinbread et al

Said I'd only play using a cable, then got a L6 wireless

Said I'd never own a smartphone, now can't live without it

I could go on and on, point being, until you try things, you just don't know.

We could very well see you listing your pedals on the emporium next month after you get your axe/kemper. Or, we could see you still buying more pedals to use with it.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
And you've never yet owned an Axe II and/or Kemper, so seems like it would be best to wait until you get one or the other, try it both with and without your pedals and then form your conclusion.

Over the years that things I've said I've never see myself owning/using/liking would make quite the long list.

I said I'd never want a tele, got one, love it

I said I'd only use tube amps, now also have an Axe

Said I was always going to be a go-to Marshall guy, now a modded Bassman is my number one rock amp

Said I'd only use analog effects, then went Strymon, Catalinbread et al

Said I'd only play using a cable, then got a L6 wireless

Said I'd never own a smartphone, now can't live without it

I could go on and on, point being, until you try things, you just don't know.

We could very well see you listing your pedals on the emporium next month after you get your axe/kemper. Or, we could see you still buying more pedals to use with it.
Agree. I am completely open to ditching my pedals eventually. But for now, the musical situations I am involved in require me to use provided amps/backlines that change depending on the studio/venue. Sometimes I use a Twin Reverb, so engines a JCM800, sometimes a PA is adequate (Tech21 Blonde in this case purely for portability). The 2 stable things in my rig are my guitars and pedalboard. I am aware that I could replace them with either the Kemper or Axe plus a controller. But as a subway dependent NYer, that's just a little unmanageable right now. The modeler would be primarily for home use right now. I expect that to change over the next few months, and am already looking at decent FRFR options. When I am able to use the modeler as my full live rig, I absolutely will ditch the pedals. But I'm not there yet. And, I can't afford both at the same time.

Glowing Tubes

Gold Supporting Member

There are many reasons for buying a new rig, not being happy with the old one isn't necessarily one of them. Sometimes people want a diffent amp for different applications. Maybe they like their amp but are looking to tweak their sound and add options.
I don't judge. I get a new amp and like to get to familiar tone territory and go from there, it isn't sounding like my old amp as much as its sounding like me or even better, the tone I hear in my head. If somebody wants to put pedals in front of their modeler, i say give it a try. These are just tools for the job, do what works for you.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom