Axe FX 2

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rockett, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Rockett

Rockett Member

Is using the Axe Edit program different on a mac then a PC. I can't seem to find the "Midi Librarian" trying to update the firmware with no luck and no real direction....anyone an expert on these things with a MAC?

Thanks

2. succor

succor Member

3. BWebb

BWebb Member

Axe Edit is exactly the same on Mac and PC. I'm not in front of it now so going off memory here, but it's pretty simple.

To update firmware, just go to: Settings -> Update Firmware (in Axe Edit)...and navigate to the folder that contains the .syx.

On the Axe II front panel, click GLOBAL, then page over to the firmware tab.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

What he said, but the button on front of the Axe-FX hardware is "Utilities" not the "Global" one.

You go over to the firmware tab, click 'enter' to get it into update mode and then 'send' on the software editor.... then follow the directions from the hardware once it updates.

Takes about a minute or two via USB to do it.

5. BWebb

BWebb Member

Right...Utilities. Sorry about that!

6. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I think there are several ways to update on a mac. hope this helps Easiest way i figured out was to:

1) go to fractal and upload the newest update info

2) download/or if you have it already on your computer like i do open sysex librarian and make sure its set to midi in..hit add and out of your downloaded section you should see the coding for the the update and add it to the librarian - minimize window

3) then on the front of the axe fx press utility and page up till you see the firmware - it will say press enter to update...do so

4)then reopen the sysex librarian and double click and it will load ...takes about 15 minutes and you should see it loading on the actual axe fx

5) once done, you need to shut the axe fx down, and restart it 5 seconds later (i believe this part is only for Axe FX II, as i don't remember having to restart on my prior axe fx machines

7. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

0. Download the firmware from Fractal. Unzip it and read the release notes carefully.
    1. Plug the AxeFx II USB into your computer.
    2. Turn on the AxeFx II.
    3. Launch AxeEdit
    4. AxeEdit -> Settings -> MIDI... choose the AxeFx II Midi In and Midi Out.
    5. On the AxeFx II -> Utility -> Page> -> Firmware. Once on this page press Enter.
    6. At this point the AxeFx II is *waiting* for the firmware.
    7. Back in AxeEdit -> Settings -> Firmware... navigate to the firmware .syx file and send it.
    8. If the AxeFx II is in the proper *waiting* mode, you will see a progress bar on the AxeFx and in AxeEdit.
    9. When it is complete, on firmware 5.0+, the AxeFx II will prompt you to power down, wait 5 seconds, and power up. AxeEdit, however will give you an error at this point, don't worry about it.
    10. After the power up, check your firmware revision in the same AxeFx II -> Utility -> Page> > Firmware.

Richard

8. Rockett

Rockett Member

Thanks guys....I got it. The Axe is a bit overwhelming at first but I am more comfortable with it now.

This Axe 2 is a really good unit. Any good patches you recommend to download?
    Thank again
    Chris

9. cardinal

cardinal Member

For patches, if you updated to V. 5 from 4 or earlier, be sure to load at least the new V.5 bank A. I find that vast majority of the "amp only" presets sound really good.

10. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

By "MIDI Librarian", I think you were meaning "SYSEX Librarian" which is 3rd party software for the Mac platform developed by Snoize Inc.

You can download it here: http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

I've used it to upgrade the firmware on my Axe-FX before - no problems. Handy way to do it if you want to send a SYX file to the device without having to load up Axe-Edit etc.