Axe FX 3: Classic Marshall Amps

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by camilovelandia, May 8, 2018.

1. Elric

Elric Member

Middle ground achieved. Teles are fully TGP-approved. :love:

Jesting aside: Well done as always: @camilovelandia; those sound really 'lively' (not sure how else to put it). Some modeled mid-gain sounds miss that quality for me even on very good modelers.

2. camilovelandia

camilovelandia Member

I have it set to +4dB. I go stereo XLR's into an Apollo Twin and then into ProTools 10 HD on my iMac.

3. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Huh, I found the AX8 and Helix to already be there in that department. Especially on something like a Plexi or JTM45. Realistic touch response and volume knob dynamic have been mere table stakes for awhile.

4. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Sounds awesome and great playing!

stratzrus likes this.
  5. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

Sounds great Camilo!!!

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

@JiveTurkey .. is that John Cippolinas guitar rig in your avatar?

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. ak301

ak301 Member

Brilliant videos! I love my AX8 but my God that AxeIII is so tempting!

man_mars likes this.
  8. LaXu

LaXu Member

Not to mention there's literally a knob called Picking Dynamics in the amp block that acts as a compressor or expander so if you feel the amp is too compressed you can just turn the knob and it will react to picking dynamics in a different way. I usually stick with the default setting where I assume whatever is in the amp model is the way it responds and to me it has been just like a nice tube amp.

9. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

My AxeII had nearly all those parameters, and even some that were taken away like mic IR selection (not on ax8 or III). I know the ax8 didn’t have the recording console preamp controls but the II has for a few years.

The III is a step forward for sure with the cool blending ability and a massive library, but you can do a lot with a II still. Likewise lot with a ax8 too, but it does offer less parameters

10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Yes it is! I had never heard of the guy, but with all the dumb guitar synth stuff I do (especially my "trumpet work"); it seemed like an awesome overkill rig to use as an avatar pic :)

11. Doode

Doode Member

Maybe the volume and feedback contribute to that.
    Just guessing.

12. camilovelandia

camilovelandia Member

Well I think the Axe FX 2 still offers those parameters for mic emulation, but it's not exactly the same thing. I think the Axe FX II probably had some kind of EQ that emulated the mic and that's what it would do, but the IR's of the unit already are captured with a mic, so it's like mic'ing a mic! Of course it comes in handy when you have an IR done with a 57, for example, and you add the 121 emulation to warm it up some.... but the Axe 3 is totally different. It doesn't have mic emulation... it just has 2000+ cabs with all kinds of mic captures. In reality it isn't even the mic itself that makes the big sound, but the blend of different mics! I'm sure you know what I mean. I tihnk I'll do a video of this.

Bishop5150 likes this.
  13. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

I hate you, op. You are seriously awesome. I guess I have to practice another 30 years. Damn.

BTW, those tones are amazing!