Axe-FX -> Apogee Duet -> macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by NatDeroxL7, Aug 17, 2008.

1. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Would that make a decent home recording setup?

I'm just looking for a way to #1) improve my playing by being able to listen to myself in the 3rd person. #2) share my tones/patches with other people easily, and #3) save up cool riffs, ideas I come up with.

I have an Axe-FX with HPR122i PAs and a headphone amp for my monitoring needs, I assume that I should be completely set in that department.

My only last question is......Logic, Logic Express....or will garageband be just fine for what I need. Do the drum loops and the like on Logic outclass those on garageband enough that I should upgrade?? I'd like to have some decent rhythm loops so I can practice playing with an ensemble...by myself.

what do y'all do for this sort of thing??

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

Yes!... Much more then decent. You will get solid sounds out of that!

3. Rocket Brother

Rocket Brother Member

The setup you describe is indeed a great one, it will enable you to make recordings of a very high, in fact near commercial standard, when you learn to use it right and if your material / playing is up for it.
    With regards to the DAW, I would say that garage band is a very decent program to start out with and will fullfill all the purposses you describe in your post.
    As you get comfortable with the recording process and IF you fell limited by GB, then you can upgrade to Logic Exp. or Studio and all your GB projects will load i Logic, so you can still work with them.
    good luck ...and please share your work with the rest of us
    RB

4. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

I don't use GB or Logic, but that's a very good point, and smart thinking on Apple's part.

What little I know of GB, it seems like a very good starting point. Having an app like that when I bought my first Mac may well have made me a Logic user, rather than Digital Performer/MOTU user.

Just remember to SAVE OFTEN! :AOK And hey- it's technology, so you're bound to have a few moments where you want to pound nails into the floor with your forehead.... it happens to all of us!

5. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

This is the setup I want to get, but I'm waiting to see if Apple does a rumored redesign of the MacBook in the next couple of months.

6. dougb415

dougb415 Member

My wife has one of the little white MacBooks as well as last year's iMac. We're planning on buying a Duet and a MIDI interface for one of those two Macs. My wife is a GB fan, but I'm thinking of picking up Logic Express. Should make for a nice little 'studio'.

7. dougb415

dougb415 Member

UPDATE - picked up Logic Express last night, getting a Duet today from Nashville GC and am liberating the iMac for recording purposes. Fun times!

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

IMO, you'll get your best results with that setup if you use a monitor at a fair volume in close proximity to the guitar while tracking. It'll help get some of the interaction one often misses when recording direct.