Axe Fx AX8

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jacksguitars, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Jacksguitars

Jacksguitars Member

Just got my invite... so what are guys thinking? helix or ax8?

2. scook

scook Member

What are helix and ax8?

3. Jacksguitars

Jacksguitars Member

Line 6 Helix or Axe Fx AX8

4. scook

scook Member

Tell me more!

shawnshack, aruark1 and mikah912 like this.
  5. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

yes

[​IMG]

Don't mind me ..I'm just funnin with ya : ) The topic has been been discussed ad nauseum x 10 . Either one is a quality piece of gear. Depends on which one trips your trigger.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. ejecta

ejecta Member

I'll play along... I've owned both at the same time and preferred and kept the Helix for the way it played well with other outboard gear and preferred it's tones as well. It's been said a million times but the only to really find out is try both for yourself.

7. RLD

RLD Member

Any decent guitar player should be happy with either one, but one might make you more happy than the other.

8. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Simple, do you want a product that fun to use, sounds great, has many color lights and its easy to navigate on a big ass HD screen or do you want a pro level tank like compact floor unit that has the leading modeling sounds on the market backed up by the best customer service and free upgrades from any other company?

Cheers.

JCW308 likes this.
  9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

There's a return period for the Ax8, (or you could sell it in the Emporium and break even), so you can try it out and see for yourself. Don't listen to the masses, trust your own ears. That's the ONLY thing that decides what is "better" or not. Otherwise you'll get bogged down by comments from folks with a wide range of agendas. This coming from a guy that has access to a complete set-up of a Kemper, Fractal and Helix rig in a Demo Room:)

ejecta, AZG and Gearzilla like this.
  10. AZG

AZG Supporting Member

Complete opposite decision for me. Fractal sounds and feels more like my tube amps to me. Obviously YMMV.

stratchamp57 likes this.
  11. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

If you can't keep both at least try both... that said you should do a little looking around before creating a thread that has been created 100 times before...

AZG likes this.
  12. ejecta

ejecta Member

And just to clarify some misinformation propagated in this thread..... both units are pro level.

X-Mann, mikah912 and joec63 like this.
  13. ejecta

ejecta Member

Glad you've found what you like.

mikah912 likes this.
  14. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

See what happens when marketing gets involved :D

ejecta likes this.
  15. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Dude, you're getting soft in your old age. :p

OP, the internet obviously all the answers. Don't even try them both at home.

[​IMG]

16. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

You can't go wrong here w/ either.......& you may want to throw in the Amplifier too.

If you just play at home, then you may want to go with the least expensive one.........

Find some clips (& there are plenty of them going around) of someone getting the tones you love 1st. Then look into the interface & what it does & doesn't do w/ some lite reading.

It's almost like shopping for a new car......in a way. Oh...... & test driving these units is the only true way to know fo sho!

Good luck & God speed!

X

PS - We're down to the finite little details that do matter, but not as much as you would think in the end.............

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Flying_V1968, DGTCrazy and ejecta like this.
  17. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I keep seeing posts espousing pro level this or that...most gear incl. entry level gear will get the job done.
    I remember my first electric guitar before Japanese companies got good at copying in the 70s... That was like 350$ back then and was total crap...fretboard came off the neck in a month...
    Not even inflation adjusted, but for the same money I can do any job with an off the wall choice.
    Same with amps.
    So when I see this idea if needing to spend x amount to get gear "good" (read pro level) I feel to urge wonder what for.
    BTW, I love the fractal and atomic stuff just as I dig my amps and have done beta testing for L6 in the past... It's just gear.
    Wonder if carpenters argue about whether Sears makes the be all end all hammer...

ejecta likes this.
  18. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Great point! Kind of like the bias against Boss pedals, even though they are on more Pro-Level pedalboards than any other pedal.

Guitardave and ejecta like this.
  19. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Carpenters/roofers, probably not. Car mechanics, OTOH, get snobby about tools real fast.... And some of the folks here talking about "pro-level" this or that have never done a paid gig in their lives.

barhrecords and X-Mann like this.
  20. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

I was going to say the same thing. A picture of Prince's pedal board shows it was practically all Boss pedals. Most of us here just like futzing with gear.

ejecta likes this.