Axe-Fx for non-tweakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by akivisuals, Apr 10, 2008.

1. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

I've been thinking of getting an Axe-Fx to replace my Egnater M4 rack setup. It would save me from having to schlep around a ton of gear, but I was wondering how difficult it is to program. I've used rack gear for over a decade but admittedly am NOT a big tweaker. I find sounds that I like and use them or tweak them subtly for my tastes. I don't have problems tweaking amp knobs to get tones that I like, but I'm not entirely comfortable tweaking rack gear with too many parameters. Is the Axe-Fx user friendly even for "non-tweakers" like me?

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'd like to see a "Flextone" version of the Axe-FX. I'm not a tweaker either, but I do like having basic effects and different amp sounds in one box. I've never owned a Vetta because I'm not a tweaker. I would also like to see a good controller like L6 has.

3. Guitardojo

Guitardojo Member

I wasnt a tweaker. Ima "Plugin & Play" type dude.

At the begining I chose a preset and based all of my other presets off that one. I modified it here and there adding chorus and delay...etc. It sounded great and got lots of compliments.

As time went on, I started to play with other presets and would come up with more stuff. I mess around with it a lot now, I guess you would call that tweaking from a non-tweaker perspective maybe.

I can say that the AXE-FX got me out of my comfort zone but at MY own pace! No arm bending or kicking and screaming!

So start out with a preset to your liking. Modify it to your liking!
    Baby steps brother!

4. jcj

jcj Member

That would be truly GREAT! I've had a flextoneII for years....totally idiot proof...even for me :D

5. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'm gonna bump this up just in case anyone might know if there is a "minimal version" of the AxeFX in the works. I gotta believe that when so many people rave about a product it must be pretty cool. I would just like a simplified version.

6. Crikey

Crikey Member

It would be interesting if someone made something like a 1U rack space box that had typical guitar-amp knobs on it and allowed non-techies to control their Axe-FX models like real amps. I guess it would have to be a MIDI device. Or maybe knobs like this will grace the front of a future "simplified-interface" version of the Axe-FX itself?

I must admit, the DigiTech GSP1101 has some appeal with its "Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Amp Level" knobs right on the front. I've never seen one in person. I've never seen an Axe-FX, either, but with all the raves here at TGP I'm eventually going to have to check one out.

Crikey

7. Brian G

Brian G Member

Even though the Axe FX has lots of depth in control if you choose to get into it, you can also keep it very simple, and just know that there is a lot more adjustaility, if you feel like going there.

But it's not required to get great sounds from it. And the "learning curve" is more like a mini speed bump, not hard to learn to use at all, especially if you want to keep it simple. Setting up basic patches is easy, the basic amp controls work like real amps. They're just "virtual", on screen. No biggie.

For live control of effects you need a midi foot controller, though.

Brian

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Not a tweaker either.

That being said, you need a certain level of expertise with it to know where you need to go. There are plenty of 'default' settings that make it easy to dial in. Also, your physical setup can get complex too...really depends upon you.

It is a bit like crack...you start tweaking more and more as you learn. The best part is it sounds great *almost* no matter what you do, or mostly usable positions on the knobs.

No, it's not simple so much that you understand it immediately, but its easy enough as long as you don't require someone to help you turn on your amp...

Ron