Axe Fx - Fx8 - Tech 21 Flyrig Situation

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jb70, May 18, 2015.

1. jb70

jb70 Member

hi my fellow tgp'ers,
    i'm trying to figure out whether to hold onto my axe fx II and liquid foot 12+ or sell them and get the FX8.

here's the situation:

i currently use the axe fx II for the effects only (no amp or cabinet sims) in front of a real tube amp. it sounds fantastic and has been working great for me over the past few years. the only reason that i still have the axe fx rather than a dedicated effects unit is because 1. i sub with a couple of bands who use in-ear monitors (no amps on stage) and 2. i have the ability to run direct to the PA or powered monitor in case i got to a gig and my amp wasn't working

now, i picked up a tech 21 flyrig last october for a fly date that i had in florida and it worked really well

i was thinking of selling my axe fx II and liquid foot 12+ midi pedal and getting the FX8. i think i could run the FX8 into the flyrig for those gigs where i need to run direct to the PA.

would this work and is there any downside to doing this? obviously, i won't have 100 amps and cabinets to chose from but the bands that i sub with are r&b/funk/dance bands and most of the stuff only requires a clean sound (or somewhat clean) with some basic effects. thanks in advance for any advice or insight that you guys could provide!

2. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I am sure it'd work fine. You could also save yourself carrying two units and just get the AX8 if this does;t need to be an immediate solve. I think the FX8 looks fantastic, especially in the Value/Dollar consideration.

3. jb70

jb70 Member

the flyrig is so small and lightweight that carrying that plus the FX8 would be a non-factor

4. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

The Two Notes Torpedo CAB would be a great option! ( I'm one of the handful that has an FX8)

jb70 likes this.
  5. jb70

jb70 Member

ah, see? that's why i love you guys :) that's a GREAT idea. it's small enough to keep in the gig bag just in case something crazy happens with my amp. thanks justin! i will definitely look into the CAB

6. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

7. jb70

jb70 Member

i'm guessing you can run the FX8 straight into it and it will sound glorious? technically the FX8 isn't a preamp, right?

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

Now I have to look that up. Too much gear out there. Digging my FX8

9. DavidE

DavidE Member

Right So that torpedo thing appears to be a cab emulator only. You still need a preAmp. I don't get it.

10. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Yeah, the Torpedo wouldn't be an amp replacement, just cab. Personally I wouldn't see the logic in adding that to an FX8 rig -- by the time you add a preamp, cabling and a heavy-duty power supply, you're around the $2400+ mark and have as many individual pieces (if not more) than any normal guitar rig. The whole point of the FX8 is to streamline the connections, compromises and complications and run straight into a normal guitar amp.

If FOH/direct tones are your main goal, then I'd stick with a Axe-FX 2 or Kemper as opposed to building an FX8 + Torpedo rig. If FOH is an option you want to have sometimes, then the Tech 21 stuff is a great idea: affordable and very good stuff, compact and easy to leave in the gig bag.

A possible interesting pairing for both amp and direct tones would be the DV Multiamp. It has the built-in power amp, it's light-weight, and its price is manageable. If the core amp models sound really good thru a small guitar cab, then you'd have a really versatile rig and all the effect possibilities of the FX8.