Axe-Fx/Garageband

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Ted Witcher, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

2. c94123

c94123 Member

Yes - without a doubt. Currently have my AXE going through a Duet into my Mac using both Garageband or Logic. Simple as can be.

3. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Is there no direct digital out on the Axe? Or must you have the Apogee or some other interface?

And then when you open GB, what happens... does the app just recognize the Axe as an effect, or what? Not sure. Just gathering basic info. Thanks.

4. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

You would need either an AES or SPDIF interface to go direct to the Mac.

I must say however, I have been running stereo analog outs into both my LaChapell and Great river Pres before hitting my Apogee Rosetta 200 into Logic Pro and it just sounds amazing...

I have sold almost all of my amps because I can now just walk up to the rack and hit about 4 power switched and be recording, unlike setting up amps/cabs/mics...

Have fun with it!

Best,

Mike

5. zygoat

zygoat Member

Ted, IIRC I used a 1/4" to 1/8" phone adaptor straight into my iMac with the Axe FX and it worked fine.

6. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

7. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

I am curious about this as I was told by someone that the Duet could not receieve the outputs of the AXE-FX. How do you have this set up? Can the Duet except the stereo analog outs of the AXE-FX? The Duet does not have SPDIF or AES correct???? I was under the impression that I would need an Ensemble.

8. c94123

c94123 Member

I had never heard that and it seems to work just fine for me. I use the unbalanced L of Output 1 on the Axe straight into the Instrument 1 input of the Duet and right into Garageband with not issues whatsoever. I've used the XLR outs of Output 1 on the Axe as well. There is also a Digital Out on the Axe but I have not tried that yet.

You are correct that the Duet does not have SPDIF.

9. c94123

c94123 Member

I would also add that I had my Duet first and if I had to do it all over again I would get an interface that could also be my MIDI interface so I wouldn't need a separate box to update firmware and communicate with the AXE-FX Editor, which I use with the AXE rather than the front control panel.

10. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

I too have a Duet - I use it with an AXE FX Ultra and send my two balanced outputs from the Ultra to the Balanced Line inputs on the Duet. Works with nary an issue. No need for an Ensemble unless you require the extra features it offers.

Barr