Axe-FX II: Firmware 5.00 Quick Tips

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Scott Peterson, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I just spent some hours working on my tones for this week, very important rehearsal coming Thursday (note the signature link... please check it out!!) with the drummer we are using for the video session.

Here's a quickie guide to what I am doing now (remember that beta testing is more about breaking stuff and finding bugs; not taste testing). Now we are out of beta, I can have fun again and just listen and play!!

I am doing the following:

Dynamics: Leave at Default after you 'reset' the amp block to load in new default settings.
    Speaker Motor Drive: 5:00

Everything else is stock default settings. Remember to change your amp type; then change it back to reset the default parameters into your amp block. Then only adjust the above settings and get ready to have fun. Sounds fantastic on EVERYTHING, very bouncy, 3D swirly fun!!!

Edit: more detail:

Quick update on the OP; just reset the amp blocks (change amp type and then change back) to load in default values).

Depending on what version firmware you are coming from; you might have to readjust your MV and Drive settings. (*If you are coming from 4.xx, not so much. If you are coming from 3.xx or earlier, you'll need to listen). Set the "Speaker Drive" to 1.50

In the cab block, change the Speaker Motor Drive to 5.00. Play. Adjust to taste.

That's it really. I leave the Dynamics tab all at default now. You can mess with it once you have time, I really feel Cliff's defaults here are dead on.

The key to 5.00 is the combination of the new power amp modeling - and adding a little to the speaker drive in the amp block matters to this - and the big MONSTER thing is the Speaker Drive Motor in the cab block. That's the key to all. Focus your time and effort on that (start it at 5.00 though; at volume you'll understand why immediately).

The rest is just getting the amps updated with the correct default parameters loaded by changing the amp type.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. Brick_top

Brick_top Member

Is there a control labeled "Dynamics"?

3. Scott Peterson

There is a whole "Dynamics" tab with various controls in the amp block now, new to 5.0. The others I leave at default, I turn the actual "Dynamics" parameter up to 25%-50%. Then adjust to taste.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  4. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I think it's right next to the 'Awesomeness' tab. :p

5. Scott Peterson

:)

Here is what it looks like (Dynamics control highlighted in blue):

[​IMG]

6. shasha

shasha Member

I'm taking it that is a beta version of AxeEdit, correct?

7. Scott Peterson

Yes it is.

8. Brick_top

Brick_top Member

Cool thanks! this last few days waiting for the II are more painfull than the last months I spent waiting

9. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Thanks for the post, I only got to play @ 45mins last night and was struggling a bit, looking forward to trying this out tonight.

10. jayjerry

jayjerry Member

What does the speaker motor drive do?

I loaded ver 5 last night but I did not get to mess with the speaker motor dirve.

Jay

11. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

I always wait for Scott's notes before updating ...

It saves a lot of time and frustration. Thanks Scott :D

12. Scott Peterson

I should also note that these are starting points and you'll need to change them to match your taste, situation and preferences.

Also note I am a FRFR guy; these starting points reflect my taste, situation and preferences only! YMMV!

13. xnuralratiugx

xnuralratiugx Member

Scott, I'm convinced you only live between TGP and Fractal forums!

14. Scott Peterson

Some days it feels that way! ;) :D :p

15. xnuralratiugx

xnuralratiugx Member

Well thank you! I have most of your posts bookmarked on both forums and the axe seems a lot less daunting after reading them ha!

16. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

From the release notes

It simulates the sound of a loud speaker, and does it well. So you get the sound of a cranked cabinet at low volumes.

I bet the next new parameter is 'Ringing in the ears' to further simulate loud cabinets at low volume.

17. xnuralratiugx

xnuralratiugx Member

Not sure if this was intended but I read this post SIMULATING THE SOUND OF A LOUD VOICE AT LOW VOLUMES AND DOING IT WELL!!!

18. Roodboy

Whats the difference between that and speaker drive?

19. Scott Peterson

In practice and after working with it; quite.

Speaker Drive adds non-linearity and drive to the speaker.

Motor Drive adds non-linearity, overtones and subtle compression that essentially is what happens when you drive a speaker cab hard and get the system between the transformer of a tube amp and the speaker working, heated up and moving.

In firmware 5, "Motor Drive" wins the "MVP" award from me with the Dynamics Tab in the amp block very v-e-r-y close behind.

It adds so much to the elusive 'feel' of playing a tube amp; it was good. Now you get it at any volume and the best part of it all - you dial it EXACTLY the way YOU want it. The way YOU prefer. I love it.

IMHO, YMMV.

20. Roodboy

Thanks for the reply.