1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Axe-FX II - Recto Red High Gain

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Scott Peterson, May 18, 2011.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I'm not a metal guy, but love to bring the big BOOM high gain stuff out for fun.

Here's a short clip for guys that have been asking for high gain.

PRS Custom 22, Axe-FXII (Recto Red amp block, RW Recto Cab block, Reverb) cut direct via USB into Reaper than ripped down to FLAC and MP3.

The Soundcloud player for convenience: [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/spetersonmusic/05-18-2011-rectored-ii[/SOUNDCLOUD]

The FLAC file for actual listening: 05 18 2011 RectoRed II .flac

2. mouzer

mouzer Member

Now we're cookin. :Devil

Scott, I saw you liked that pic my buddy John posted on the Fractal facebook page...that was from our session the other day at a local studio in Ferndale. Would you be interested in dropping by sometime with your Axe II for a geekout? I know you're a busy guy, but the SSL G+, NS-10/Genelec/TAD monitoring, and the rack in the pic should be enough to tease you. :p

3. Scott Peterson

No need to tease me - sure. I need to get through the next little bit here before I'll have time. Next week would be cool; give me a PM with the details and we'll set something up for sure!

4. mouzer

mouzer Member

Will do! :dude

5. Brain2Me2

Brain2Me2 Member

Sounds like there's a cranked Recto Cab in my bedroom!!!

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Sounds great, Scott!

7. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Sounds muddy, do not like the tone overall. I'm sure the Axe2 can do recto, though. IMHO.

8. Scott Peterson

That's on purpose, to a degree. The mic models are set to 'none' so you get more of the huge 'out of control' bottom end akin to a cab in the room.

For recording properly, I'd use the mic models and take out some of the bottom. It's insanely thumpy; similar to how I dial up the analog actual amp/cab.

9. Brick_top

Brick_top Member

It's funny I have only had one tube amp in my life, and have tried maybe 10 other ones.

But as I listen to these clips I keep thinking... "wow this sounds real" :D

:confused:

10. Chris Beaver

Chris Beaver Member

Firstly Scott id like to say a huge thank you for posting the clips you have done so far.
    This clip to me sounds like its far away in the room and because of that i cant really get an idea of what the recto sounds like. Is there any chance you could do a clip of the recto bone dry with no cab block reverb or other reverb please? thanks again for posting the clips :aok

11. ejecta

ejecta Member

The RW use mics already. Sure you can use the mics in the Axe on top of the RW but I've personally never found a need to do that or found that being very useful in shaping the tone.

That said I'm a bit confused... why would not just go ahead and record it properly?

12. Scott Peterson

No, they don't use mic's other than the TC30 on the factory IR's from RW that come with the Axe-FX II.

I didn't 'record it properly' because I was having fun and just recorded it. If I had put out a 'properly recorded' clip than I'd be reading posts about 'no balls, no bass' and so forth.

It's just fun. Nothing more. Again, these are not definitive; i'm just sending out stuff here and there to share.

13. Scott Peterson

Chris - thanks for the comments. There's far less 'reverb' than you might assume here. The wet mix on the reverb block is 3.5% wet. That's only for the reverb tails anyway, I have predelay and tail delay at 130ms each.

The room in the cab block is dialed up at 50% room, 2.0 for 'size' and 70% mic distance because that's what I like.

If I get time to do other clips maybe I'll play around and show what different settings yield.

14. AdamCook

AdamCook Member

Thanks for sharing Scott.

Is that the "room" parameter that's built into the cab block or an additional reverb block after the cab?

It definitely sounds "in the room"...which is good because it sounds like that was your intention for this particular clip.

15. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

That sounds pretty good ,I can't wait to try one.
    Any Diezel VH4 channel 3 ?
    That is one harmonically rich tight modern high gain tone that I would like to hear the Axe 2 do.

16. Scott Peterson

Using both the reverb settings in the cab block and reverb after; levels as noted above. Tis indeed my goal; that's what I am enjoying, the 'in the room' experience via FRFR.

17. Scott Peterson

There is a Diezel amp block in there; I have to check it out yet.

18. Baba

Baba Member

I like that. As an in-ear user, I'd love to have that "in the room" sound, as if I DIDN'T have in-ears in, and I was listening to the amp in the room.

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

kick ass. if you told me you were f*cking with us and that it was a real recto. . . i'd believe you.

you're doing a great job scott.

20. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

That the recto tone actually, muddy until you boost it with an od pedal