Axe Fx-II to get Profiling soon !!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Willowdale, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Willowdale

Willowdale Supporting Member

Cliff just announced this will be coming soon.

Cliff is a genius and will devour all newcomers!! lol

Of course there will be the debate over which product has better profiles etc.......

Great time to be a guitarist!!

2. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

And where did he say that?

3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Links?? I know the Axe-FX can sample IR's, but I've never heard anything mentioned about full fledged profiling??!!??

4. The Kid

The Kid Member

5. Banned User

Banned User Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  6. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Member

7. richaxes

richaxes Member

Holy crap... just wanted to order my KPA... now I'm a little shaken.
    The queston is from now on... how will the Kemper hold up to the Axe II's versatility if the Axe will very soon be able to do the same + the obviously higher versatility of tweakability and FX?

8. tgp100

tgp100 Member

From the above fractal link, he wrote:

"If you want the depth of tone and feel of the Axe-Fx with the KPA sounds, simply capture the Kempers cab IRs. I've done this and it works great.
    For example, the best KPA Plexi profile is "Plexisw3" (or something like that). Turn off everything but the cab and capture the cab using the Axe-Fx II's IR capture. You'll get a better tone and feel IMO.

FWIW, our own profiling will be available soon for the Axe-Fx II."

That is a strong contrast to earlier quotes by Cliff:

"My impressions haven't changed. As I said before, and this video reinforces that, he's doing EQ profiling via test signals. When I first started out this is how I was modeling amps. You sweep the amp and by using varying levels and signals you can determine the input and output EQ profiles and approximate waveshaper transfer function.

This technique has a myriad of shortcomings and I've long since abandoned it. The EQ->waveshape->EQ paradigm is 1st-generation modeling and I believe almost everyone has moved beyond that due to the inherent static nature. "

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Good to hear.

I don't anticipate making many profiles myself (other than my Sig:X) but as I said in a previous thread I thought if it could be added in a firmware upgrade it would make the product more competitive. If some "magic" profiles emerge and are shared, I'll be glad to use them though. :aok

I think it's a smart move by Cliff and in no way compromises the basic design philosophy of the current unit.

10. felken

felken Member

Very smart move and the hardware platform is proven i.e. the rack unit and mfc101.

11. richaxes

richaxes Member

Actually, this whole thing was a very nice tactic to pull right now.
    Think about it... Cliff announces that the Axe II will profile, too... everyone who was in love with their KPA or wanted to order one will step back now and wait... and some will just stick with their Axe II or sell their KPA to get one... never ever underestimate the powers of propaganda...

12. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

I don't think that it's a strong of a contrast. Cliff took a different route. But since a lot of players seem to be interested in the other path, Cliff will try his best to provide it since he said that his "goal is to give our customers what they want and the best possible product and experience possible."

I think that this is awesome.

13. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Or smart, timely marketing. Not the first time a product was changed in response to a competor.

14. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Glad I got to read Cliff's post on time..totally lost interest in the KPA and cancelled the order, I wanted to experiment with the KPA because i have tons of amps available(not mine) it was something new and exciting to try, but never cared for the looks of the KPA, rack mount would be the way to go for KPA in my opinion, + it still seems its software needs some debugging etc. Still admire C.Kemper for creating it, and wish them luck.

15. richaxes

richaxes Member

I can totally agree with this... VERY curious now. Dammit! :omg:huh:mob

16. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

Same here, looks like my toaster.

17. bammbamm

bammbamm Member

Looks like AxeFX = easier to acquire in US, Kemper = easier to acquire in Europe. So the markets may go like that, i.e. get the one in whichever continent you are in. Unless, Kemper's production and distribution is huge. I'm not familiar with their operation.

18. tgp100

tgp100 Member

19. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

This is nuts. Basically how I read between the lines is that Kemper's profiling approach to the CAB is what makes it work so well, the magic if you will. Cliff can incorporate this into his current hardware platform? Man, this is going to be interesting over the next few months or so.