Axe-Fx II with External Overdrive Stomp Boxes

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by 6strang, Feb 29, 2012.

1. 6strang

6strang Supporting Member

I have been running the Axe-Fx 2 through it's paces and it has been a lot of fun. I was searching for an "organic" Marshall tone (YMMV on what organic is or isn't) - maybe this will be of value to someone other than me.

I ran both my Wampler Plexi-Drive and Xotic BB Preamp stomps into the Buttery preset. A couple of minor tweaks and I found the sound I was hearing in my head. Don't be afraid to plug in your favorite stomps...you might be surprised.

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Did you find any significant difference between using the actual BB vs. the BB drive block in the Axe FX?

3. 6strang

To me - yes...though the BB Preamp in the Axe is real nice. I bet if I really worked at it I could get that "pedal" sound out of that drive to my ears.
    However, I LOVE my Wampler Plexi-Drive. That pedal adds a bit of magic in any application that I use it on.
    ps. It should be noted that I plug into the front input on the axe as well.

4. stratzrus

Thanks.

I really like my BB and wondered if the Drive Block was as good. Haven't tried it yet because I spend 99% of my time playing, not configuring.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Another option that many overlook or fail to consider is to use a PEQ block - of your own design - with the level variable via an expression pedal to drive a non-master Marshall amp you design in the Axe-FX (Gen1 or Gen2). I *LOVE* the way mine works that way; and it's adjustable on the fly via the expression pedal, which is so expressive and useful on the gig.

Here is my PEQ block that I use for this:

F1: Freq: 70Hz; Type: Blocking
    F2: Freq: 300Hz: Q: 1.00; Level: +1.00db
    F3: Freq: 600Hz: Q: 1.00; Level: +1.00db
    F4: Freq: 1200Hz: Q: 1.00; Level: +1.00db
    F5: Freq: 10kHz; Type: Blocking

Then attach a modifier to an expression pedal on the "Level" and set the Min: to 0.00db and the Max to +6.0db. (Note - you can alter this all you want, up to +20db; set to taste).

Done. You now have a +1db to a +7db custom variable boost into your amp and once you try it... you might not even bother with drive blocks (or.... pedals...) again.

It's for stuff like this that I love the Axe-FX II so much. Takes about 30 seconds to set up and gives you years of playing satisfaction and usefulness for your 30 seconds invested in setting it up. :D :aok

6. 6strang

Sweet! Thanks Scott. I will give er a go!

7. stratzrus

Great idea Scott...you've gotten great utilization from the expression pedals. I'm really looking forward to getting a couple and using them for on the fly tweaking as well. Much more intuitive and user friendly than knobs for playing live. :aok

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

That's the truth man. Folks thinking you are 'limited' by not having knobs to tweak are thinking 'in the box' when I never once ever even look at the Axe-FX because it's all at my feet in ways you can't do in the analog world and in most every other digital product (even other fancy high end new products).

Sorry for the thread drift OP - and to end on topic, the Axe-FX II and the Gen1 boxes both take dirt pedals REALLY well... so it's win/win no matter what way you run... in the box or out of the box. It's all good.