Axe FX II XL

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Myshkin47, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

When Fractal came out with the Ultra, threads read a lot like this one. The Mk.II Axe-FX II stays current and available new. The XL adds to the line. I seriously doubt this will be the only new product from Fractal this year. What else they come out with, I do not know. The XL caught me by surprise, I had no idea. Seems like a smart expansion of the current platform; and for those that need what it offers, here it is. I played a Standard for over a year after the Ultra was released - horses for courses.

2. orpeus

orpeus Member

Odd amount of ranting here over things that aren't true.

1. The XL isn't going to cost $3k, that is the "list price". It will cost less.
    2. This isn't a price increase for the Axe II, the two items are going to be sold side-by-side.
    3. XL isn't an Axe III, just a deluxe edition of the II. It has some features that are "nice to have", but no major changes to core functionality. Compare to the Axe FX Ultra, which had a number of effects that the Standard didn't have, along with more processing power.
    4. The II has in no way been made obsolete. The II and the XL have the same processing power, use the same modelling technology, and use the same codebase, so will both get any future updates to shared features such as modelling tweaks and new amp models.

3. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

If I understand this right, Scott, the difference between the XL and the II is not the same as the difference between the Standard and Ultra, correct? The Ultra had more processing power and had effects options that couldn't be run on the Standard. In this case, it's mostly hardware I/O and more preset memory, right?

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

I was saying that the standard CAT-5 connectors were not roadworthy (the plastic retainer tabs break way too easily) and that Ethercon cables are pretty much impossible to find late at night or on a Sunday when most gigs happen.

I think the flat cable makes a lot of sense and yes, I always carry backups for everything, but there's always that one time when the best laid plans go wrong. All I'm saying is that in a pinch, an XLR cable is a whole lot easier to find when you're on a gig.

Would I buy a Axe FX II XL just for that feature? Of course not, but IMO it's definitely a welcome development for all the reasons cited and addresses an issue I've been concerned about since the launch of the II. It makes all the sense in the world for pro gear to have locking connectors for footswitches and that the cable be as inexpensive and readily available as possible.

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

What is the big deal? Axe II has a great resale price. Unload now and pick this up when it is released...or don't. This is the way a lot of releases are done now. Iphone 4S...POD HD500x and so on. I would think it would signal at least another couple of years before AXE 3 which is good news for most of you holding an Axe II.

6. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Bingo. And this is certainly nowhere near the update from the Gen1 to the Gen2 units.

There's very little here that would, IMO, justify an upgrade if you already own a II. And given that the list price for the XL is $500 more then the regular II (so I would assume the direct price would have a similar price gap), I think you'd have to *really* want/need the additional IO options and have a boatload of presets/cabs you need to store locally (as opposed to on a computer). The biggest up-side for me would be the extra X/Y options on some of the blocks, but I think there would be plenty of workarounds for much of that if you don't want to drop the extra dough.

7. ChevellePRS

ChevellePRS Member

Sweet. If only Metallica would have been able to snag a few of these XL's.

8. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Minor?!? You know how much the additions cost?!?!

I bow to you, brilliant one!! :bow

9. Zer0th

Zer0th Member

Interesting to me that the II has been sold out [AFAIK] through January. Canny or happy accident?

(in that it prevented a months-worth of II sales where some of the purchasers would have made a different decision had they known)

It's a tricky biz introducing a new model. Announce it six months ahead of time and you'll diminish your income over that entire period. They gotta eat, buy Dumbles etc.

10. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

Pretty sure that was explained as a heavy, unexpected demand over the holidays.

11. Der JD

Der JD Member

I'll be surprised if this really takes off that well.

Sure, the fanboys will bite. So will the guys who just can't seem to live without the latest and greatest and seem to have a never-ending supply of $ for gear.

But, for the average Joe, it just doesn't offer enough to shell out a few hundred more bucks. This is NOT an Axe III. It's just a II with a few added features...features that the average user wouldn't get a ton of use from. I'm betting most will stick with their IIs until the next generation comes along.

12. NeuromancerAI

NeuromancerAI Member

Yeah, Metallica took them all to Antarctica.

13. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Mais "mojo" asi. . .

14. BWebb

BWebb Member

Luckily I have zero interest in the upgrades and will happily stick to my measly Axe FX II Mark II.

15. AlbertA

AlbertA Member

That's the amount of NOR flash not RAM. And it's 128Mbit (16MBytes) of it. I assume they went with this so they don't need an internal coin battery anymore and avoided NAND because they need the reads to be as fast as possible. The part(s) are probably around $15 for 128Mbit.

16. onsiter12a

onsiter12a Member

From Fractal's site:

"Fractal Audio Systems, creators of industry-leading guitar amp modeling and effects technology, announced today that a new model, the Axe-Fx II XL, will be available for sale in March 2014. The Axe-Fx II XL has the same DSP and amp modeling capabilities as the Axe-Fx II Mark II, but offers expanded memory, new I/O ports, and other upgrades detailed below."

If its the same DSP and Modeling, but just more I/O and more memory for pre-sets I would say it is NOT a big enough upgrade to call it an Axe Fx III. If the DSP were different and had different modeling code, then yes, but this is only an upgrade if you do crazy presets and are very picky about how you plug things into it. I do not run crazy presets at all and just plug into monitors, pretty simple and if it is running the same or very nearly the same firmware I am good with my Axe Fx II mark I.

17. Prosvetlen

Prosvetlen Member

Guys, I don't think you read through Fractal's marketing strategy: this version of Axe 2 says one simple thing--we are still present in the market and will release something big and new in between May and September, 2014. They just want to reinstate their capability and potential. And not be forgotten.

18. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm liking the XLR cabling option, for reasons noted above Sh*t happens. You can always find a mic cord (steal the cable from the bass player's GF, the unpaid backup singer). (I kid, I kid).

The rest I don't need but I'm sure someone will need it.

19. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

It's smart business. Plus, I see a III in the near future. I know Scott etc. say no, but I'm not so sure.

I'll probably buy a III. I think they put out a fantastic product. In fact, I just sold my standard, which, is still a fantastic unit. Shipping it out tomorrow to it's new home. I've never sold a piece of gear ever. Hard to part with it, but it's too good to just sit there and not get used.

I've settled on my Kemper for now.

20. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

looks like I will keep my Mk.II for a long while yet! :)