AXE FX III Effects

BWebb

...just thinking out loud IMHO there's a lot more life left in the Axe than in the Kemper and if I had to make a choice to me it's a pretty easy one :)

A lot more life left in the Axe than in the Kemper? What makes you think that? You realize the Kemper came out in 2012 and is still going strong. During that same period, Fractal released 4 different versions of its Axe FX flagship (not counting floor units). My guess is we see an Axe FX IV long before we see a Kemper 2.

GT100

A lot more life left in the Axe than in the Kemper? What makes you think that? You realize the Kemper came out in 2012 and is still going strong. During that same period, Fractal released 4 different versions of its Axe FX flagship (not counting floor units). My guess is we see an Axe FX IV long before we see a Kemper 2.
That’s one way to look at it.
Of course you could also say the Kemper was way behind with effects and hasn’t done much about it in almost 10 years now…

TheSchwartz

I have a Kemper, Axe-Fx 3, and HX Effects. Here’s how I’d rank each on different effect types. In most cases, I consider the differences among them to be mere fractions of a percentage point away from each other.

Drives:
1) Axe-Fx
2) HX
3) Kemper

Modulation:
1) Axe-Fx
2) HX
3) Kemper

Pitch:
1) HX (by far the best polyphonic tracking)
2) Kemper
3) Axe-Fx

Reverbs:
1) Axe-Fx
2) Kemper
3) HX (a very distant 3rd)

Delay:
1) Tie Axe-FX and HX
2) Kemper

If your effects needs are pretty simple, I’d just stay with the Kemper and buy a couple real drive pedals to stick in front. I don’t think you’d greatly benefit from the reverbs and delays on the HX units

I use the HX Effects with my Axe-Fx 3 as a MIDI controller, and for the looper, some delays, and pitch effects. My needs are very specific, however, and I like to get real out there with sound design. When I want to keep things simple, I’ll go back to the Kemper.

If you’re not hurting for cash right now, and don’t need to sell anything for financial reasons, why not just hang on to everything and see what happens? No need to stress yourself out, or let inanimate objects guilt trip you into making rash decisions (which is something I used to do to myself A LOT.)

clarkydaz

That’s one way to look at it.
Of course you could also say the Kemper was way behind with effects and hasn’t done much about it in almost 10 years now…
Bar revamping the delay, reverbs, drive and fuzz, all huge improvements

SteveO

Bar revamping the delay, reverbs, drive and fuzz, all huge improvements

I've had my Power Rack for a little over six years, and the upgrades across the board to the effects in that time have been huge.

I think the biggest difference is that the Kemper is pretty much locked into a traditional signal chain (four slots in front of the amp and four after it) whereas the Axe FX is much more of a blank slate with the horsepower to do some really inventive stuff. I'm seriously, seriously considering getting an AF3 based on the routing capabilities alone, I think it would be an absolute hoot to dig into and get unconventional with.

themightyjay

YMMV obviously but I found the reverb and delay in the Kemper to be on par with the Axe Fx iii. That’s not really internet wisdom but was certainly my experience.

And now of course we have Kemper Drive and Fuzz recently added.

LaXu

I actually like the drives better in the Helix mostly because I like how they are closer to the actual pedal with all their features whereas Fractal is a bit "build the full thing yourself from these blocks" for some models.

Otherwise Fractal will come out on top in the fx department though sometimes for nothing more than having more adjustable stuff. I like most of the fx in the Helix just fine.

jaza69

Gold Supporting Member
FM3 Cygnus Factory Preset Banks A, B, and C - Preview 1:

Does anyone know if there are going to be updated FM3 presets for Cygnus as they delivered for Axe-FX III?

JJ321

For me, I sold my Axe FX III last summer, then spent the next 6 or 7 months picking up things to replace it. I had an H9 Max and HX Effects plus a few other pedals. I added up how much I had spent replacing the Axe III. It was over $1500, and I didn't like the effects as much as I did on the Axe III. I ended up selling those off, buying a new Axe III and now it is the hub of my rig. I have it hooked up to a pair of monitors and an Atomic CLR for 100% modeling. It's hooked up to a pair of amps to be used for effects only. I also have a couple of synths running through it.

You just have to look at how you're using it. If you're only using it for delays/reverb/drive, you could sell it and easily replace it with something else.

Top Bottom