Axe-FX III: First impressions from a long-time Helix user

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by metropolis_4, Jul 11, 2019.

1. hippietim

hippietim Member

And remember you have two pages for performance - global and preset. That's a lot of quick access.

metropolis_4, JiveTurkey and mbenigni like this.
  2. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

You may want to take a computer with you for your first sound check. The front panel works well but it does take some time to master it and just starting out I found it to be a little frustrating at times.

This was before performance mode was introduced and I don’t know what it was but I tended to think the Enter button and the press on the large scroll wheel would do the same thing and I would end up getting into edit mode by accident. The flow of the front panel controls is still annoying to me at times but it’s my own issue, sometimes I can’t get past Exit, Home, Edit and Enter not doing what I think they will do vs what they actually do. I need to go full front panel edit mode only for an extended period of time for some muscle memory brain training.

metropolis_4 likes this.
  3. Yek

Yek Member

4. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Remember scenes can have a lot of power....

You can change channels for any and all blocks, you can bypass any effects, you can have scene controllers change parameters etc.... all with the press of a button.

So with one tap you can engage a second amp, change the channel on a second amp, add a delay, reduce the reverb depth, kick in a boost etc. Super powerful stuff

metropolis_4 likes this.
  5. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Just tried my FC6 yesterday and it's amazing. The displays are very clear and easy to see from the floor. Really looking forward to gigging with my III now

Being the singer and guitar player, Scenes are everything to me. I messed with RJM's and other generic MIDI controllers but they were a pain to integrate and program. The FC-6 is plug and play

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  6. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I don't think it's just your issue, the buttons on the front panel are not intuitive. Especially HOME, EDIT, ENTER, and EXIT. I've been spending some time editing all from the front panel too to acquaint myself with it. Every time I do I find myself missing the hardware layout of the Helix. I think it was laid out in a much more intuitive way.

Cool, thanks for the link!

I also love the color LEDs when I'm singing and playing! A lot of times I can't look down at what I'm stepping on, and the colors are easier to see in my peripheral vision.

This was something that drove me crazy with older gear like the HD500.

Back when I used amps and pedals, I used to have an entire pedalboard of all Boss pedals for singing gigs because the colors were so easy to see in my peripheral vision!

mbenigni and Guitardave like this.
  7. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the cool side.

8. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Yep! The Fractal UI remains a weaker point of the products.

Hopefully they'll hear all that feedback and rethink their UI programming on future units. It's a big deterrent for a lot of people.

I'm really tempted to get the FM3 but each time I think about navigating it I think I should pass. I'll like how it sounds, but won't take it out of the house to a gig.

There's a whole bunch of the industry that still has bad interfaces.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    mbenigni likes this.
  9. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Axe III UI is fine. There was a minimal learning curve for the first couple of days for me that went away with just repeated use :dunno

10. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Was never a problem for me. I have yet to change anything at a show. Volume and BMT are taken care of at the board.

11. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

disagree. If the axe3 was 1500.00 I think quite a few would get it instead of the helix "if" THEY could only afford one unit.

Stephans likes this.
  12. handyman

handyman Member

I agree about the edit and enter buttons being in unintuitive places. You'll get used to it after a few days of using it, though. Otherwise the on device UI is pretty straightforward.

If it makes you feel any better, the III's on device UI is WAY better than the Axe FX II or AX8. I had the AX8 for almost 2 years and never really go the hang of editing on the device. I'm perfectly comfortable with editing my patches on the fly on the III now, especially with the new performance menu.

Axe Edit is still the best way to do big changes, of course.

MixMinisterMike and metropolis_4 like this.
  13. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

14. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Or Helix was 2099

15. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Would they also get the $499 foot controller and whatever they'd have to pay for an extra expression pedal? Helix sales seem to indicate not being that the Floor waaaaaaaay outsells Helix Rack - and that COMES with the foot controller bundled!

16. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

To be fair, axe III w/foot controller is more like $3K

17. JiveTurkey

What about in Canadian dollars? I think a certain Canadian someone is gone for the time being and can't confirm up to the minute prices.

18. mikah912

mikah912 Member

There is clearly advantage to having a lower price, but that's true pretty much true regardless of the product or industry. Is it the only advantage for a Helix Floor versus a Fractal Axe-FX III? Absolutely not. For one, Fractal has no comparable converged device, so there's no 1:1 comparison to make. They don't have an equivalent to Native either.

If price parity or undercutting was all it took for things to radically change, why wasn't there a seismic shift away from Helix when the AX8 dropped at a lower-than-Helix-Floor price? Seems like I recall the AX8 had two different price drops over its life span. The Helix price has only gone up $100. And you can't say it's because of the LT because Frank says that full Helix Floor is still the best seller of the product family.

It's just an overly reductive line of reasoning.

mbenigni, metropolis_4 and Guitardave like this.
  19. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Maybe he’s busy praising the PEDD?

For the record, i’m Canadian too. But I’m not offended.

20. JiveTurkey

Not that certain Canadian someone. His name rhymes with hat.