Axe FX III vs Kemper Profiling Amp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Apr 3, 2018.

1. fe911

fe911 Member

Interesting comparison, I liked them both. But, the delay on the af3 was a little annoying. Was there reverb too? Thought it was amp only comparison?

shredmiyagi and takmagic like this.
  2. Emigre

Emigre Member

Way too reasonable. New here?

:p

jrjones likes this.
  3. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Not necessarily, but some are easier to tweak to taste than others.

yeky83 likes this.
  4. djd100

djd100 Member

Ditto, and I doubt it since I use a tube AFX2 LOL, i.e. I much prefer any modeler with a custom biased tube buffer!

See "NOTE" in my previous posts.

5. mikah912

mikah912 Member

"Ditto" doesn't apply because I'm happy to acknowledge the realism and depth of the Fractal engine. I quite enjoyed both times I owned the AX8, and I have no need or reason to insult Cliff.

You should try singing its praises without poop-talking the engineers behind other platforms. It's fun, I promise....

jmtaylor22 and Jose7822 like this.
  6. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

Biggest difference to my ears is the lack of air on the axe presets. The sounds appear out of a black background where the kemper sounds more life-like with air around the tone. In the mix both are eminently usable. But naked the KPA sounds more real.

7. hippietim

hippietim Member

I get what you're saying. So if the Axe were to start with more of a maroon background with perhaps a smidge of goldenrod, do you think that would breathe air into the Axe to make it as more real as the KPA?

Watt McCo and marshall2553 like this.
  8. Emigre

Emigre Member

Technically yes.

But isn’t the number one use case for most people that they play an amp through a cab, and a high end modeller through an FRFR?

Hence judging the two side by side for one’s own preferences and conclusions would be a completely appropriate test, as valid as any other.

All three tests (mic’d amp, cab’ed modeller, or side by side) are each appropriate for a specific use. I don’t think it’s possible to extrapolate from any one test to all uses.

9. djd100

djd100 Member

It all depends on what you're testing for...

A) If you're testing for what you prefer by all means test the subjects as you'll want to use them.

B) If you're testing the guitar amp modeling then isolate the modeling by using the exact same chain excepting the amp modeling etc.

In any case any modeler should be able to sound great through guitar cabs, FRFR, or DI'd, i.e. no limitations.

Emigre likes this.
  10. xela1

xela1 Member

Agree

11. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Interesting video in that it is useful if you know what to listen for, and completely useless if you don't. You cannot use any video like this to conclusively determine if one sounds better than the other, as each unit can so easily be made to sound better or worse than the other.

It's almost as if you are watching a video on which blank white canvas to use for a painting, but using two different painters painting the same picture for a comparison. The differences in the painting itself will most likely overwhelm and distract from the actual comparison information (how white is the canvas, does it accept paint well, etc).

IMHO, on sonic terms, any guitarist should be equally as thrilled with either unit's raw amp tones, as well as either unit's effects. The real comparison should be in unit functionality, features, and suitability towards what a player needs in his particular applications. In this aspect there are stark advantages and disadvantages to each, such as the Kemper's ability to profile, the Axe FX's much greater effects routing versatility, etc. Most of that type of info can be had by simply reading the manuals.

djd100 likes this.
  12. WeAreOurGear

WeAreOurGear Member

Lol. So you can’t hear of what he speaks? Do you think cds sound better than records? Lol. Of course you do. ;)

13. hippietim

hippietim Member

I know that I do not miss LPs skipping and all that. But big album covers and the awesome stuff on the sleeves were much cooler than CD booklets.

14. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

[​IMG]

Jose7822 likes this.
  15. Yek

Yek Member

Amp
    Axe
    Amp
    Axe

Acc. to Cliff.

16. FusionRock

FusionRock Member

I hear that as brittle highs with rough edges.

17. Elric

Elric Member

:love:
    [​IMG]

18. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

These 2 modelers are the bees knees for sure....with that said im back to Mesa TC-50 or Transatlantic 30 and FX-8 for effects and back to grooving....all these rigs work well though

Gearzilla likes this.
  19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That was my first thought too, so glad the pops and scratches are gone. Loss of audio quality was a distant second concern....

20. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I preferred the kemper. The vox and one of the marshalls were a little thicker, but the kemper was more the sound I’d be after with those amps too.